Monday, July 26, 2010

"The Producers" guest blog: Malik Grady

For today's profile, I asked ensemble member Malik Grady to give us his perspective on the show! Malik has been in several GCP productions, including performing as the Leading Player in "Pippin" last season.

When I heard that The Producers was being proposed as a show at the GCP, I went against my supposed nature as an optimist and took every opportunity to gleefully pour cold water on the idea.
"Not gonna happen."
"Yeah, right -- homosexuals and Nazis at the GCP -- sounds like you picked the wrong week to stop taking Amphetamines."
When the show was accepted, however (which I'm still amazed by), I knew that I had to be a part of it, no matter what. I knew that the show along with Erin directing would attract the very best talent that the area had to offer, meaning that even previous leads would shine as supporting roles.
BUT, unlike "Peter Pan," which had a similar level of star quality, "The Producers" is unleavened by urchins (children), which brings an entirely different flavor to the backstage proceedings. I looked forward to working with other "grown folk" like Thunder Dan, K-Sario, Houston, Ed and Mike, as well as my boys Sandbags, Fauxworthy, Bobby and Esteban.
And that was before I knew that Sarah would be one of the stage managers!
The reality has exceeded my already-inflated expectations. The people I already knew have come through, of course, but Alan, the Double-Nickles and Richard have been synergistic additions as well.
I feel a little bad for the women of the show, 'cause let's face it, the beauty, starting with Sarah and going on down to the director, is definitely on the female side, but we're not complaining, ladies. Gorgeous, loving, interesting, sharp, strong women, each and every one of you.
I relish my first and only chance to have NINE disparate characters, each with their own getups and style. I think that my Bavarian Peasant and Stormtrooper are the only two for whom I don't think I have "personaes" for, and that's just because they're all about action and getting into the costume!
Really, though, I judge shows by which performances I am compelled to watch nightly from the wings.
In "Seven Brides," Thomas showed he would sell taking a punch EVERY night, and Erin killed me with her "FISHIN" line. In "Hot Mikado," Thomas's chemistry and performance with Susan as Katisha was a platinum-set diamond gem ALL the time, and I could listen to Bryan's voice trying to woo "Jane Eyre" a thousand times.
Watching the old ladies in the courtroom outdoing each other every night from the wings is as good as anything I've seen, though. The only way it could be better is if y'all actually WERE zombies and also fought each other more often.
Honestly? My one regret about this show is that there isn't more time OFF stage between shows for us all to hang out. This is probably my very best theater experience, and that's saying something, because I effing LOVED working with the people in "Hot Mikado" and of course having what was likely a "career" role in "Pippin." I wish we had two more Fridays to hang at Splitz, or get together for a game night, or a potluck, or whatever.
I'm a gushy bastard, but I don't lie about this type of stuff. I love all of y'all and have enjoyed working with everyone in this cast and crew -- even ESTEBAN -- and he'll tell you that that's saying something!
Malik

No comments:

Post a Comment