Sunday, July 18, 2010

"The Producers" cast profile: Sissy Bell

Sissy Bell returns to the GCP to open "The Producers" in style!

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SB: My first show was "Carousel" at GCP in 1996 (when I was six). After that, I knew I loved theatre and continued to do shows at GCP and around Gainesville until I went away to college. Some of the shows I participated in were "Miracle on 34th Street," "Annie Warbucks," "Wizard of Oz," "A Little Princess" (all at GCP), "Jesus Christ Superstar" (at Acrosstown Repertory Theatre) and "Bat Boy" (at Eastside High School). Basically, I grew up in the theatre.

GCP Girl: What is your actual "day job"?
SB: I’m a student (at the University of Arizona)! I wish I could say I have a summer job, but not many people want to hire you when they know you are moving back to Arizona in August. During the school year, however, I’m a Residents Assistant in the dorms. Basically, I live in the residence hall and make sure that the freshmen don’t do anything too stupid. And when they do, I deal with it. I also make pretty decorations for the hallways that get ripped down by drunk people the first Saturday night of the school year.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
SB: I’d missed doing theatre so much! At school, I’m a dance major, so we don’t really have time to do any performances outside of our own. I also knew I was going to be in Gainesville all summer so it was the perfect situation.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite part of this experience so far?
SB: The people I’m working with! It’s been fantastic reconnecting with old friends and also meeting new ones.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite number in the show?
SB: Of the numbers that I’m in, I’d have to say “I Wanna Be a Producer,” mostly because I get to pop out of a file cabinet in full showgirl attire (glitter and all). My favorite number to watch is “Keep It Gay.” I really don’t feel like any explanation is necessary for that choice….

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
SB: Do it.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
SB: Theatre for the community, by the community. Everyone has a place and everyone leaves the experience enriched.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
SB: Come August 7th, I’m going to miss Gainesville so much!

Thanks, Sissy!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment