Friday, July 9, 2010

"The Producers" cast profile: Jonathan Gravely

Jonathan Gravely is deliciously over-the-top as renowned theatrical director Roger DeBris...

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
JG: I started in theater when I was 11 in small church productions. We did things like "Godspell" and "Jesus Christ Superstar." I had always loved music and singing, but was discovering acting as well. From there, I went into the Richard Dickson Dinner Theaters that used to be here in town and have come into the GCP. Recently, I was the Production Tenor in the white tux from "Singin' in the Rain." Before that, I was doing a few things at Santa Fe College, but my resume is actually fairly light on acting credits.

GCP Girl: What is your actual "day job"?
JG: I am a Patient Care Rep for the Department of Neurology at the University of Florida. Don't ask me to describe what I do...it would take too much space.
 
GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
JG: Honestly, because I was goaded into it. I'm trying to get my degree, and had a class that would have made it impossible to be in the show. But, I was called, by several people, and was literally told I had to audition for Roger. So, after a little soul searching with my partner (of five years, hi hun!!!), I drove out to the theater after cutting class early one night.
 
GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far? 
JG: The cast...by far. This is the best group of actors that you could want to work with. Couple that with the great crew and production staff, and you have a recipe for success.
 
GCP Girl: What is your favorite number in the show?
JG: "Keep it Gay"...not just because it's *my* number, but because it gives you the freedom to push those boundaries and discover more about yourself. I probably am reading too much into it, but that's my answer.
 
GCP Girl: What is your favorite Mel Brooks movie?
JG: I really like "History of the World, Part 1" (is there a Part 2?).
 
GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
JG: Know your music and be real with yourself about your talents. I have seen people get up there to audition who are obviously tone deaf and I feel bad for them. You know that they are scared and embarassed, and all you can do is try to be supportive. But the stage is all about playing your strengths. So, know what you can and can't do before you get up there, and be honest about it.
 
GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
JG: This is a wonderful outlet to get to work with some amazing pieces of art that you would normally not have access to.
 
GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
JG: I'm really not the primadonna that people tend to think I am. I would like to think that people who know me realize that I'm just kinda high maintenance, but not unreasonable. :-)

Thanks, Jonathan! It's Opening Night!! Break a leg!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment