Monday, July 5, 2010

Director's Take: Erin Kleim on "The Producers'!

Erin Kleim, director of "The Producers," dropped by to give me the exclusive on the show!

GCP Girl:
"The Producers" opens this week at the GCP.  What has it been like to direct such a huge show?
EK: "Exhilerating and Exhausting" would be the best way to describe this one. The production team and crew have been fantastic to work with, so that has been really helpful. The cast has kept me laughing every single night (which is tough to do when you watch the same thing over and over) but they can still do it. My cast rocks!
I think this show should be called "an incredible amount of work for a five-second bit." Two completely identical sets, giant set pieces that are used for one thing, and 20 scene changes. Oy vey!

GCP Girl: Tell me how you got started in community theatre.
EK: I was a "theatre baby," as my whole family was involved. My father was always stage manager, my mother did costumes and props, my brother did lights, my sister was on stage, etc.. I was always dragged along to everything. I used to sing in the car at the top of my lungs to all the songs I would hear at rehearsals. My mother finally allowed me to audition (maybe to make me stop yodeling in the car) . At 10, I auditioned for "Oliver!" and then began appearing on stage as well.

GCP Girl: Besides being a successful director, you are also a talented actress, singer and dancer.  What have been some of your favorite roles?
EK: Aw gee thanks (blush). I have so many favs it is hard to name them. I really liked "Audrey" in "Leading Ladies" because she was so quirky, "Louise" in "Gypsy" because I got to be on stage with my sister, "Millie" in "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" because I got to sing to a creepy plastic baby (kidding, it was just a fun show all around), and maybe "Shelby" in "Steel Magnolias" because I really liked the group of women in that show. We did a lot of laughing.

GCP Girl: Why did you choose to direct "The Producers"?
EK: Because "Chicago" is still unavailable. (no, I am just kidding)
 I really, really LIKE the show. I think the music is fantastic and the characters can't be beat. It is a great show to showcase all the talented men we have here in Gainesville. So often musicals are aimed at women and there are only a few good roles for men. This show is full of not just "parts" but characters for men. 

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of the process for this show?
EK: The completion of the pigeons!  No, it is probably watching the characters develop and find themselves. I try to enjoy everything about the process from the very first dance rehearsal, the first day of blocking, the late-night set hours, the last-minute chaos. It is all part of it!

GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "The Producers"?
EK: I hope they go away needing new pants because they have laughed so hard. I hope that they bring their open minds and a sense of humor and realize that the show is all in fun. I hope they realize that Mel Brooks was trying to suggest that if you can't change history or stereotypes, the least you can do is make fun of it. 

Thanks, Erin!  "The Producers" opens Friday, with Preview on Thursday!  Get your tickets soon at Book Gallery West – Erin's last show, "Peter Pan," was a sellout!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment