Friday, July 16, 2010

"The Producers" cast profile: Kelley Addis

Kelley Addis hones her already-impressive comedic skills in the ensemble of "The Producers"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
KA: I was in "A Funny Thing..." as Domina this past spring, which was my first-ever GCP show. Before that, however, I was in Chicago as a professional actor. I was in "Tony N' Tina's Wedding," the longest running show in Chicago, for four years and played pretty much every single female part and one part that's supposed to be male (figures). I was also in "Guys and Dolls," "Jackie: An American Life," "Dimly Perceived Threats to the System," "Mountain Days: The John Muir Musical," "Wizard of Oz," and many many more shows. I also was in a couple of movies, including "Spiderman II," "The Company," and "The Break Up," and appeared on Animal Planet on an episode of "Animal Witness."

GCP Girl: What is your actual "day job"?
KA: I am currently a student at the Florida School of Massage seeking my license to become a massage therapist. Some of my fellow cast members have received the benefits of my schooling and let me tell you, I have never been more popular than I am right now!

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
KA: I am a HUGE Mel Brooks fan. I've seen all of his movies and just think the man is a genius. The music is fantastic and, most importantly, there are so many amazing bit parts for the ensemble. That's really what makes the show...it's not just a couple of leads that are extremely funny and are backed up by a group of people singing and dancing. EVERY single part in this show is hilarious and I am so happy and proud to be a part of this very talented and extremely funny cast.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
KA: Being able to play with and make new friends along with playing alongside some of the "Forum" cast again. It's been a complete blast and wouldn't trade any of the sleep-deprived nights for it. Also, working with Ms. Erin Kleim has been awesome. She definitely knows what she's talking about and what she wants out of the actors and the show. It has been a real treat working with her.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite number in the show?
KA: Well, it's a tie between "Keep It Gay" and "Springtime for Hitler," and not just because I'm in both of them. Those were my favorite songs from the show to begin with. "Keep It Gay" is just a fun number and I love playing with all the boys, especially because I'm more of a man in that number than most of the guys on stage. It's fun to play with that juxtaposition. And "Springtime for Hitler" is just an EPIC song...one that I think every aspiring actor would imagine it would be like to be in a Broadway show. Plus, it's been so long since I've tap-danced, it's been fun relearning triple time steps and shuffle off to buffaloes again.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite Mel Brooks movie?
KA: "Spaceballs." I know, not as funny as "History of the World, Part I," "Blazing Saddles" or "Young Frankenstein," but being a complete nerd and huge "Star Wars" fanatic when I was a kid, that movie just hits all the right buttons for me.

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
KA: Just go out and do it! The thing that was most impressive to me coming in and auditioning for the first time was how supportive everyone was, from the production staff all the way down to the auditioners, of every single person that got up on stage. We all know how nerve-racking it is to get up there and show your stuff, but just do it! This is a wonderful community of people to be a part of.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
KA: Everyone has something creative within them to be expressed, whether it's painting or singing or dancing...whatever it may be. Community theater allows for a creative outlet to express oneself in. It also opens up doors to the community at large to see productions that they might not see anywhere else and also see their co-workers, family and friends show another side to themselves.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
KA: My birthday is July 23rd and I'll be turning the big 3-0 (yeah...I said it!) So as a birthday present, everyone should come see the show that Friday and then buy me a drink afterwards! It would be the best birthday present ever!!!!!

Thanks, Kelley! Happy Birthday!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment