Sunday, July 25, 2010

"The Producers" cast profile: Stephanie Johnson

Stephanie Johnson brings her dance expertise to the ensemble of "The Producers"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SJ: This is my first show at GCP and first musical (unless you count the class plays in elementary school). I have danced with Dance Alive since the age of seven in "The Nutcracker," and as a teenager began touring with the company in "The Nutcracker" and many other of their performances. While at FSU getting my BFA in dance, I danced with Tallahassee Ballet. I also did the Disney College Program, where I got to perform in the Disney Dreams Come True Parade as a Bridesmaid.

GCP Girl:
What is your actual "day job"?
SJ: During the school year I was an assistant kindergarten teacher at P.K. Yonge. I was also their former dance teacher. I also work part-time at Arabesque selling dancewear. Currently, I am auditioning for cruise lines and other dance jobs and trying to decide what to do while I wait.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
SJ: I have wanted to do a show at GCP since I was little, but the timing never worked out. Shows either overlapped with Dance Alive performances or I was out of town at a summer dance camp. This summer I was in town with no other commitments and decided it would be a great way to get to continue to perform.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
SJ: I have enjoyed rehearsing and performing in such a positive atmosphere. The cast is wonderful and full of great people who have been very welcoming. Also, thank you, Erin, for such a wonderful experience.

GCP Girl:
What is your favorite number in the show, and why?
SJ: "I Wanna Be a Producer" is definitely my favorite. Being a Rockette would be my dream job, and in this number I get to be a showgirl and even finish with a short kickline. Of course the heels and glitter are a bonus.

GCP Girl:
What is your favorite Mel Brooks movie?
SJ: "The Producers," followed by "Robin Hood: Men in Tights."

GCP Girl:
What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
SJ: Go for it; you have nothing to lose by auditioning. Go out and do your best and have fun.

GCP Girl:
What does community theatre mean to you?
SJ: Community theatre is a place where people who love theater and performing can come together and share the experience with the community. It provides a performance outlet for many who have other careers and a stepping stone for others.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
SJ: I am having the best time performing that I have had in a long time. Also, hopefully more good news to come soon.

Thanks, Stephanie! We hope so too! Great job on a sell-out weekend, everyone!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment