Saturday, July 17, 2010

"The Producers" cast profile: Alan Medrano

Alan Medrano plays Carmen Ghia, Roger DeBris's common law assistant, in "The Producers"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
AM: My very first show was "Guys and Dolls" at P.K Yonge. Since then I have been in three other musicals at P.K., including "Les Miserables" and "42nd Street." I have also been in a couple of straight plays at Santa Fe College. This is my first show at the GCP.

GCP Girl: What is your actual "day job"?
AM: I'm a student. Does that count?

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
AM: "The Producers" is my favorite musical of all time. I knew all the lines and all the songs before we even started rehearsal. I even have a prop that was used in the 2001 production on Broadway (a "Funny Boy" playbill). So when I saw that GCP was doing it, I had to give it a try.

GCP Girl:
What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
AM: Meeting all these new people. I came into this show only knowing two or three people, so getting to meet a whole new group of talented, energetic performers was a huge delight.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite number in the show, and why?
AM: Of course I couldn't answer this question without saying "Keep It Gay"; it's just so big and extravagant at the end and it cracks people up. But I love "King of Broadway" with all its dancing and funny one-liners. It's just a great number to be in.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite Mel Brooks movie?
AM: I am a sucker for "Blazing Saddles," but I can't disagree with either version of "The Producers." Also, "High Anxiety" is a great movie. I am a huge fan of his work.

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
AM: Just give it everything you've got. It's okay to be nervous, but remember, they want to see you do well and then want you to be good, so just settle down and give them what you've got. Nobody wants to see you fail.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
AM: It's just a great place to interact with people in the community that you wouldn't normally interact with in a fashion that is different than the way you would interact with them.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
AM: I am excited for my girlfriend to get back from Europe so she can see the show!

Thanks, Alan!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment