Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Anything Goes" cast profile: Thomas Sanders

Thomas Sanders puts on his dancing shoes once again as Billy Crocker in "Anything Goes"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
TS: Billy Crocker, as he was described to me, is everyone’s favorite guy, always the smiling, easygoing character who has stowed aboard the S.S. American in hopes of convincing the girl of his dreams to break off her engagement and marry him instead.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
TS: I was last on the GCP stage in the Winter show “G.I. Holiday Jukebox.” I also performed in “The Producers” as Leo Bloom, “Singin’ in the Rain” as Don Lockwood, “Hello, Dolly!” as Cornelius Hackl, and “Hot Mikado” as Ko-Ko. My last Susan Christophy production was back in the Spring 2007 show “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” as one of the oafish suitors.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Anything Goes"?
TS: There’s just something about the summer musical at the GCP that is so unbelievably EPIC. It’s been great to have so much talent come out for this show, while there are no real big classes that preoccupy many students’ and teachers’ time. And, most of all, “Anything Goes” had been advertised to me as just simply a feel-good farce with singing and dancing. On top of that, it all takes place on a cruise ship. Really, how much better can you get?

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number or scene in the show?
TS: One song I absolutely love is “You’re the Top,” which I get to sing with Leannis Maxwell, our show’s lead actress. The song is so much fun to sing and get into. Susan, our director, told us to play with the lyrics and mess with each other, and it’s a blast every single time.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
TS: It’s always the moments when you’re laughing and getting to know new people in the show. Like I said, there is a lot of new talent for this show, many people that we would be lucky to have come back for future shows, and I am honored to be a part of their first experiences.

GCP Girl: If you could play any character or perform any song other than the one you are performing, which would it be and why?
TS: I probably would have tons of fun playing Moonface Martin, Public Enemy No. 13. That character gives you so much opportunity to make the audience laugh. Steven Butler, who plays Moonface in our show, along with Kenneth Foote, who plays Evelyn Oaklaigh, steal the show with their awesome humor. I love watching those guys! As a side note, it would be interesting to try and perform Erin Kleim’s (Erma) song “Buddy Beware” just to see if I can carry off any of the crazy lifts and flips she does with the sailors. Just awesome.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Anything Goes"?
TS: This show is silly, entertaining, and poignant all at once. It conveys the great message that, even under the craziest of circumstances, even out at sea, when it comes to love, anything goes. People should leave this show just feeling good, bottom line.

GCP Girl: Which musical(s) would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
TS: Oh man, that’s a tough one. What I’d really love to put on would be “Ragtime.” It has awesome music and a powerful message, and I believe we have the talent in Gainesville to put that show on.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
TS: I have recently graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor's in chemical engineering. With luck, I will find a job here in Gainesville, and be able to be a part of more shows in the next year!

Thanks, Thomas! "Anything Goes" picks back up tonight after a sold-out weekend! Get your tickets today!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment