Thursday, July 14, 2011

"Anything Goes" cast profile: Shawen Ilaria

Shawen Ilaria takes a break from medical school to sing and dance for us in "Anything Goes"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
SI: I'm a chorus girl in "Anything Goes." I've named my character Lola. My personal back story for Lola is that she was an orphan, and was on her own at a young age. She met her two best friends at work, Vera and Becky, and together they saved every penny for the chance of a lifetime-- to explore Europe! They packed up all of their stuff, sold their belongings, and are now on an adventure of a lifetime aboard the S.S. American. You'll see the three of us on the ship, excited about every little thing, and in awe of the glamour of it all. These details help motivate us in our actions while acting in the chorus!

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SI: I've actually been a pianist my whole life, and was the rehearsal pianist for my high school's musicals. Once at college at UF, I played piano for shows at UF as well as P.K. Yonge. My only acting experience was playing Glinda in the White Coat Company's "Wizard of Oz" earlier this year. The White Coat Company is a theatre group consisting of medical students at UF, and we performed at Tachachale, Sydney Lanier, and for the pediatric ward at Shands.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Anything Goes"?
SI: I auditioned for "Anything Goes" because after being in the pit for so many years, I finally wanted to try my hand at acting, singing, and dancing. And I LOVE it!

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number or scene in the show?
SI: My favorite scene is when Billy, Moon, and the Chinese converts Luke and John end up in jail together. It's a short scene, but it is guaranteed to make all of us girls trying to get ready in the dressing rooms go hysterical with laughter every time!

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
SI: My favorite part of this experience has been making so many new friends. I didn't know anyone at GCP before I started, and everyone has taken me into the family completely whole-heartedly! I look forward to rehearsal every day, because I know I'm going to have a great time with the best cast ever.

GCP Girl: If you could play any character or perform any song other than the one you are performing, which would it be and why?
SI: I would love to be Reno Sweeney in the song "You're the Top." It's such a cute song with a million lyrics and allows for a lot of acting out the lines. I listen to it in the car all the time!

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Anything Goes"?
SI: "Anything Goes" will make you smile. It is hilarious, fun, adorable, and quite cheeky, if I may say so myself.

GCP Girl: Which musical(s) would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
SI: I would love to see GCP do "Wicked." I've already made a dream cast list in my head. :)

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
SI: I've loved being a part of "Anything Goes" so much! As this, the summer after my first year of medical school, is my last summer off ever, I couldn't have asked for a better way to fill it. The memories of being a part of this show will be with me forever-- and will hopefully get me through the grueling second year! :)

Thanks, Shawen! "Anything Goes" is now in its second week - get over to the Vam York to see it!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment