Thursday, July 7, 2011

"Anything Goes" cast profile: Matt Sherman

Matt Sherman makes his GCP debut as Wall Street banker Elisha Whitney in "Anything Goes," which previews tonight at the Vam York Theater. Tickets are only $5 - be there at 7 p.m. to get them!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
MS: I play Elisha Whitney, a bit of a snob, a lech and a lush (Eli, not Matt).

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
MS: My most recent appearances were with director Susan Christophy in "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Children of Eden."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Anything Goes"?
MS: I thought I was appearing in traffic court to contest a speeding ticket. When the judge asked me to sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” I assumed she was being patriotic. Next thing I knew, I was in show rehearsals five times weekly.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number or scene in the show?
MS: The finale, “I Get A Kick Out Of You,” is a great evergreen song that became a Sinatra standard. It’s fun to sing as the high tenor harmonies for the show.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far? MS: I have been made to feel very welcomed by other newcomers and by the veterans at GCP. The camaraderie has been great and the green and dressing rooms are as much fun as the show.

GCP Girl: If you could play any character or perform any song other than the one you are performing, which would it be and why?
MS: Leannis is so strong in “Blow, Gabriel, Blow” – but the song’s hook is in my head and I wish I could sing the melody right with her.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Anything Goes"?
MS: Ken and me in our underwear and falling over dead drunk? That’s the kind of spectacle you can now witness without having to visit us at home!

GCP Girl: Which musical(s) would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
MS: Gosh, GCP has done so many marvelous and classic shows in recent years. Maybe "Guys and Dolls" again or “The Scottish Play”? I’d like to see some old-fashioned bloodletting and hear Ken and Thomas do more of their British accents.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
MS: The photo of me is from my website at http://billiards.about.com where I teach the sport of billiards. Come play pool with me sometime!

Thanks, Matt! Break a leg at Preview tonight!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment