Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Peter Pan" Crew Profile: Kristin Paulson


"Peter Pan" Sound Designer Kristin Paulson checks in to tell us about her take on the show!
GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows at GCP.
KP: Haha, where to begin?? If you've seen or been in a show during the past two seasons, you've heard my sound! 

GCP Girl: What is your favorite fairy tale or children's story and why?
KP: Wow...what a question to ask a children's literature major! Of course I love "Peter Pan" and "Alice in Wonderland," but my all-time favorite has to be "The Necklace of Princess Fiorimonde," an Italian fairy tale about a beautiful yet evil princess who turns her suitors into beads on a necklace to avoid marriage. I know she's evil, but I always kind of liked her... :-)

GCP Girl: What is your favorite part of the "Peter Pan" story?
KP: My favorite and least favorite parts are the same--when the Darling children leave the nursery for Neverland. It just encapsulates childhood so well---it truly shows Barrie's idea that children are "innocent and heartless." They are SO excited to be going on this adventure, but they forget the parents they've left behind without a warning. It's heartbreaking in a gorgeous way.

GCP Girl: Why do you think "Peter Pan" is performed so often around the world?
KP: Because you've got something for everyone--pirates, Indians, flying....and in Neverland, the children will never grow up and the adults never really did either.

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you would like everyone to know!
KP: I'll be cutting back on the shows I do next season. (Yes, I know...I can hear you all crying from here!) I have a thesis to write for my Master's degree. But I'm assistant directing "Nuncrackers" and "The Producers," so I better see everyone at auditions!!!

GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "Peter Pan"?
KP: Well, since I'm ME, I honestly hope people go away thinking, "I need to read that book!" :-) But really, I hope they enjoy the escape from reality for a couple hours, and keep that sense of fun and whimsy for as long as possible.

GCP Girl: What was/is your vision for bringing this show to life?
KP: Well, there's not a lot I can do except make sure you can hear people! But I'll try to make sure you can hear them exceptionally well! ;-)
Thanks, Kristin! Remember, everyone, you just have this week and next to catch "Peter Pan" before it closes!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment