Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Peter Pan" Cast Profile: Caitlin Hunter



"Peter Pan" opens this Friday, and what better profile to start with than someone who has "grown up" (or not ;-) in the GCP: Caitlin Hunter!  Caitlin talks to us about her role as an Indian in the upcoming production.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows at GCP.

CH: I did my first show at GCP when I was 6 ("Annie Warbucks"), and have acted in six other shows since then ("The King and I," "Nuncrackers," "Fiddler On The Roof," "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever," "The Music Man," and "The Crucible") . Recently I have started doing tech too, and have done tech for about seven other shows. (What can I say, the dark side has cookies!...and multi-colored tape...) I also got the opportunity to Junior Assistant-direct "See How They Run," which was an amazing experience, and the whole cast and crew helped me learn a lot about all the different sides of theater.


GCP Girl: What is your favorite fairy tale or children's story and why?

CH: I've always liked Dr. Seuss's "The Lorax."  My mom always liked that story, and she kind of passed that on to me, I guess. I have good memories of her reading it to me, and it's the kind of book that makes me remember that no matter how bad and ugly things get, they can always get better. It also reminds me that one voice can convince others to change the world. ( Wow, that sounds cheesy. =) )


GCP Girl: What is your favorite part of the "Peter Pan" story?

CH: I love the parts where Captain Hook is about to unleash a plan, and the pirates run on with instruments and ask "What tempo, Captain?" Something about that just cracks me up every time!


GCP Girl: Why do you think "Peter Pan" is performed so often around the world?

CH: Because no one really wants to grow up! We all want to be kids for forever because things are so much easier when all you have to worry about is what game you want to play that day. "Peter Pan" is a way for everyone involved to be a kid. It's just the kind of show where you can cut loose and forget about being an adult for a while, and forget about all the responsibilities and inconveniences that come with growing older.


GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you would like everyone to know!

CH: I would like everyone at GCP to know how much I love them all. I've grown up in this theater, and I remember in the old theater when the adults would talk about how "one day" we would have a new building, and we would be able to fly people, and we would do "Peter Pan." And I remember the people who kind of laughed it off and said, "I'll believe it when it happens." Well, it's happening, and I'm a part of it. How awesome is THAT? I can't think of anything else I want people to know, except that I want them to remember that this show is a dream come true for GCP and it's just...amazing.


GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "Peter Pan"?

CH: I hope that people take away that we don't always have to be adults. Sometimes all we need to do is see the world through the eyes of a child.


GCP Girl: Other than the character you play, what character in the show is your favorite?

CH: I love the dynamic between Smee and Captain Hook, and I always have. They are just so funny! Big and macho one second, and running from the Croc like scared little kids the next. Dan and Alex are both hilarious, and they make me love those characters even more.


Thanks, Caitlin! We're all excited to see what you all have in store for us! Remember, Preview night is Thursday and tickets are $5 at the door only. Tickets for the rest of the run are available now at Book Gallery West.  See you there!


xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment