Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Peter Pan" Cast Profile: Leannis Maxwell




"Peter Pan" resumes tonight after a well-deserved break for the cast crew. Leannis Maxwell, who doubles as Mrs. Darling and a pirate in the show, takes today's spotlight.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows at GCP.
LM: I've been doing shows at the GCP since I was 10. I started playing violin in the orchestra/band with my dad for my first show, which was "Music Man" back in 1985. My first onstage show was "Oliver!" in 1990; I was in the chorus. After that I was hooked and auditioned for pretty much every musical for awhile. Previous shows/roles include: "The Mikado" (Peep Bo), "Annie Get your Gun" (chorus), "Starting Here Starting Now" (ensemble cast), "Oklahoma" (Ado Annie), "Sunday in the Park with George" (Dot), "A Little Night Music" (Petra), "Carousel" (chorus), "Little Shop of Horrors" (Ronette), "Our Town" (Emily), "My Fair Lady" (Eliza), "See How They Run" (Penelope), and "The Secret Garden" (Martha).

GCP Girl: What is your favorite fairy tale or children's story and why?
LM: I've always been a fan of "Cinderella" (the Disney version-sorry, Rogers and Hammerstein), probably because of the mice and the songs. I also like "The Velveteen Rabbit" and "Charlotte's Web," because they have animals in them.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite part of the "Peter Pan" story?
LM: Probably the part where the Lost Boys want to actually leave Neverland and be part of a family.

GCP Girl: Why do you think "Peter Pan" is performed so often around the world?
LM: It's kind of timeless, I guess. There's the underlining story of family and loss, love. But it's also visually appealing, with the flying of characters and the "fairy dust;" it's a magical show, and every kid knows "Peter Pan" the story...even if it is only the Disney version.

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you would like everyone to know!
LM: I don't really have a una-brow!

GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "Peter Pan"?
LM: I hope they will leave humming the songs, even if it is the "I Gotta Crow" song. I hope they will leave smiling and feel grateful for the life they have, and tell someone to go see the show cause it will make you leave with a full and happy heart.

GCP Girl: Other than the character you play, what character in the show is your favorite?
LM: I gotta say Hook and Smee as a duo are pretty great...:o)

Thanks, Leannis! Get your tickets soon if

No comments:

Post a Comment