Thursday, July 9, 2009

"Peter Pan" Cast Profile: Alexander Mrazek


Here's a treat for Preview night: an interview with our very own Alex Mrazek, who plays the dual role of Mr. Darling and the "infamous Captain Jas Hook!"


GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows at GCP.
AM: I’ve done numerous shows at the GCP and I love it.  The people are always so great to work with, and the ones involved are there because they love theatre and so it’s not just another job to them.  I just recently played in Daddy’s Dyin’: Who’s Got the Will? as Orville – where I got to stretch my chops as a redneck.  The time before that, I was doing Secret Garden as Lt. Wright.


GCP Girl: What is your favorite fairy tale or children's story and why?
AM: My complete absolute favorite is "Beauty and the Beast," which I was fortunate enough to play Lumiere in at the GCP’s production of it.  I love all the magic involved with this fairy tale – the living objects, the enchanted rose, and the lesson of not judging a book by its cover.  Plus, the Disney version just had so many wonderful songs in it, it just enhanced the story that much more.


GCP Girl: What is your favorite part of the "Peter Pan" story?
AM: Me.  No, kidding, kidding.  The magic and the adventure of the story is what I love.  People flying, fairies, pirates and Indians, an underground hideout – it’s the original adventure.  If I were to pick a specific part that I loved, it would be the duet between Peter and Wendy, "Distant Melody."  I find it haunting and beautiful, and a reminder of a simple love between a parent and child.


GCP Girl: Why do you think "Peter Pan" is performed so often around the world?
AM: It’s such an epic show.  You have actors flying around on stage, a pirate ship, a dog and a crocodile, flying, wonderful music, a great adventure...did I mention flying?  Seriously though, I think it allows people to forget about the world outside and the “grown-ups” that they are and for a few hours lets them be children again – which is all Peter wants to be.


GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you would like everyone to know!
AM: This will be my official last show here at the GCP as I am moving away to pursue a career in acting (who knows why.)  I have made such wonderful friends here, people I consider part of my family, and I will miss them dearly.  This theatre has been amazing to me and I have gained so much experience on and off the stage.  It has been an honor to work with such talented and good people.


GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "Peter Pan"?
AM: Fun.  Oh, please take away fun with you.  And hope.  Hope that the world isn’t always nasty and mean.  That there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  And that there is a place where dreams are born, and time is never planned.  Where if you think of lovely things, your heart will fly on wings – forever, in…well you know where.  Just say you believe.

GCP Girl: Other than the character you play, what character in the show is your favorite?

AM: Can I say everyone?  All the other characters have their things that make them so much fun and memorable, it’s hard to say.  I do have to say I have a crush on Tiger Lily – she is fierce and she will let you know it.  Tinker Bell is the same way.  She may be a fairy, but she will not take sass from anyone.  Plus, I mean, come on, Peter Pan rocks it. 

Thanks, Alex! Entertaining, as always, and we will certainly miss you when you leave. Don't miss your last chance to see Alex on the Vam York stage!!

BTW and FYI, I heard the bookstore has been telling people to line up really early for tickets tonight, so you might want to plan accordingly.  I believe the only show at the new theater to turn people away from Preview was "Music Man" three years ago...hopefully "Peter Pan" is as popular!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment