Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"Peter Pan" Crew Profile: Betty Keena



Betty Keena takes a break from designing costumes to assistant direct "Peter Pan," which opens to a Preview audience tomorrow night at the Vam York Theater!

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows at GCP. 
BK: I built the costume for Mrs. Potts in "Beauty and the Beast," was assistant director for "The Crucible," and costume designer for "The Secret Garden" and for "Pippin."

GCP Girl: What is your favorite fairy tale or children's story and why? 
BK: "Peter Pan," because it involves subjects that are so durable and yet so fragile. Like all perfect tales, it is a mystery both in its subject matter and its craft.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite part of the "Peter Pan" story?
BK: I truly have a difficult time choosing just one, but possibly the moment grown-up Wendy says, “I wish I could go with you…”

GCP Girl: Why do you think "Peter Pan" is performed so often around the world?
BK: I believe it’s performed so very often because it has timeless and endless appeal to every child and to everyone who’s ever been a child. 

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you would like everyone to know!
BK: I don’t know ANYTHING about myself that I’d like EVERYONE to know… 

GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "Peter Pan"?
BK: I hope they take away the tenderness of memory…I think that’s what "Peter Pan" gives best, and if our audiences take that with them when they leave the theater, we’ve done a good job.

GCP Girl: What was your vision for bringing this show to life?
BK: To try to help in ways that take some of the “hum-drum” tasks away from people who are trying to deal with the creative aspects of the show...I hope I’ve succeeded in some small measure.

Thanks, Betty!  In case anyone missed the memo, Preview is tomorrow night!! Get pumped!! Get excited!! Get me another latte!! (Although maybe I should cut back...you think? Whatever. You love me.)

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment