Sunday, November 28, 2010

"The Wiz" cast profile: Malik Grady

As the Royal Gatekeeper in "The Wiz," Malik Grady will grant you entrance to the Emerald City...for a price.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
MG: I had never done theatre in my life before auditioning for "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" back in 2007. Since then, I've been hooked. I got to be a lead in my second show here in "Hot Mikado," and then last year I had what will probably end up being the role of my life as the Leading Player in "Pippin."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
MG: After being the only "brother" in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," being in this production was a given. I'm black.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
MG: Because of the way I am, my favorite part has been welcoming the people new to the Gainesville Community Playhouse to the family and trying to make sure they feel comfortable. There was definitely a learning curve for me learning the language of theatre and getting up to speed, so I do my best to help everyone who comes after me.

GCP Girl: If you could play any other character in the show, which one would you choose and why?
MG: Obviously playing The Wiz in "The Wiz" would have been awesome, but can you imagine how much fun it would be to play Evillene in drag? ...Too much information?

GCP Girl: If you went to Oz instead of Dorothy, what would be your favorite part of the trip?
MG: I'm tempted to say the poppies, but this is a family blog. This may surprise some people, but I like BOTH the chocolate river where that German kid almost drowned AND the Molasses Swamp! ...Wait, that's only in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and Candyland, respectively? Bummer. Honestly, I'm not sure if Dorothy has any fun places she goes in Oz -- she just has fun PEOPLE when she gets there!

GCP Girl: Why do you think "The Wizard of Oz" is such a popular story with both children and adults?
MG: SO many reasons. We can all identify with a lost child trying to get home, plus the archetypes of the heroic friends are both what we fear in ourselves (no brains, heart or courage) combined with what we hope to have (intelligence, love and bravery). Add to that the iconic images that 60 years of the original "Wizard of Oz" has given us and it's a very resonant modern fairy tale.

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
MG: Please do so -- I personally will do everything I can to make sure you feel welcome and come back. The creative and collaborative effort of talented people working together to make art is a life-affirming continuous action that draws people together and which you really can't find anywhere else.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
MG: This is my second show performing "with" my beautiful Warrior Angel Sarah as the Stage Manager and I have to say it has been a wonderful experience. I love all of my castmates and enjoy my life, and she's the very best part of it.

Thanks, Malik, and congrats to you and Sarah!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment