Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"The Wiz" cast profile: Kelley Addis

Kelley Addis is bad news as Evillene, the Wicked Witch of the West, in "The Wiz"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
KA: At GCP I've been in two previous shows, "The Producers" as Hold Me, Touch Me, and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" as Domina. Before that, however, I was up in Chicago working as a professional actress. Some of those shows are "Tony N' Tina's Wedding" (Tina, Connie, Donna), "Guys and Dolls" (Miss Adelaide), "Jackie: An American Life" (Janet Bouvier, Ethel Kennedy, and others), and "The Wizard of Oz" (Munchkin, Guardian at the Gates, King of the Flying Monkeys). I was also in a couple of movies, "Spiderman II," "The Company," and "The Break Up," and appeared on Animal Planet in an episode of "Animal Witness."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
KA: I was really excited to see this in the season because I really enjoy the music. It's a very upbeat show and I enjoy singing through it every night. Plus the characters of Oz are so iconic and over the top. I had to audition!

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
KA: Definitely the cast!!! Every person in this cast has been so supportive and welcoming and wanting to make this an awesome ensemble show. It was really hard in the beginning as I wasn't needed for that many rehearsals in the beginning so I thought I would have a hard time fitting in as the rest of the cast had been working so closely together. I came in to rehearsal and was herded back into the mix so lovingly. It's definitely been awesome getting to know everyone.

GCP Girl: If you could play any other character in the show, which one would you choose and why?
KA: Either The Lion or Addaperle. The Lion gets all the good lines and the character really grows during the trip through Oz. That would be fun. Addaperle is just hilarious. Just a great comedic character. However, both Kirk and Amei play those parts so well I don't think I could really go to their level of awesome in those parts.

GCP Girl: If you went to Oz instead of Dorothy, what would be your favorite part of the trip?
KA: Getting those amazing silver slippers. They look fabulous and everyone seems to want them badly.

GCP Girl: Why do you think "The Wizard of Oz" is such a popular story with both children and adults?
KA: The story just speaks to everyone on different levels. As a child, you watch the movie and wonder at all the beauty that is Oz. You wish that your life could be as vibrant and beautiful. As you grow up, however, you realize the deeper meaning of the story. That although you can wish for beauty in life, the beauty is already around you. Life is beautiful and should be cherished! If you constantly go about the world daydreaming of a more exciting life...you might just get it, but you could miss out on all the wonderful things that already make your life enjoyable and a gift.

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is considering auditioning for a GCP show?
KA: Just go out and do it! Half of our cast are people who have never done a show with GCP before and have added such wonderful talent and personality to the show. Don't be intimidated by the process...we're all nervous. Just get up there and show them what you got. And don't get discouraged if you don't get in. Sometimes it's just not the right fit...there's been a couple of shows I've auditioned for at GCP, wasn't cast and hey...I got professional cred backing me up. Don't let that discourage you from trying again.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
KA: I have just graduated from The Florida School of Massage. So, if you're in need of some pain relief and relaxation, definitely contact me! kelleyaddis@gmail.com.

Thanks, Kelley! "The Wiz" is back on stage tonight at the Vam York!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment