Friday, March 13, 2009

"Pippin" Cast Profile: Scott McPherson


Here's my interview with "Pippin" Player Scott McPherson. This is Scott's second show at GCP.  He and his lovely wife, Ashley (the vocal director for "Pippin"), are expecting their first baby this summer!
And yes, the questions are the same for everyone.  I am very busy, and everyone has different answers, so don't judge me. ;-)

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SM: "Hello, Dolly!" at GCP, and after that, "Into the Woods" at the STAR Center. That's it.

GCP Girl: What was your favorite show or role?
SM: I was Cinderella's Prince in "Into the Woods," which has been my only role, but "Hello, Dolly!" was probably more fun for me.

GCP Girl: What do you feel is your area of expertise - singing, acting or dancing?
SM: I think that is for the audience to judge! The singing is probably the biggest work in progress though. I can say I've gotten better in the last year, so that's been pretty cool.

GCP Girl: What does your "Pippin" icon represent?
SM: XIX is the roman numeral "19" -- which has been an important number for me since birth.

GCP Girl: What do you hope people take away from "Pippin"?
SM: There are so many talented people who give to GCP, and so many people who have given to make it what it has become. I can only just hope to live up to their standards and be part of something that continues the legacy of work that has been done. I'm sure the old standard will enjoy it, but more than anything, I think I love overhearing people as they leave say, "That was so much better than I expected" or, "I didn't think community theater could be so good!" If we get just one person who adds GCP to the things they attend for entertainment -- I think we've done our part.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
SM: I have two, I think. First would be Jesus in "Jesus Christ Superstar" - for the same reason most guys probably like the role--Gesthemane. The second would probably be Roger in "Rent". I can't quite put a finger on why, but he just seems like he'd be fun to act/sing.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite quote?
SM: This changes from day to day, but the one solid quote I love hearing happens every morning when I leave for work, or the gym. My wife, half-asleep, says "Good bye, baby. I love you so much. Drive safe." Then her head hits the pillow and she's back asleep. It never fails, and is always a perfect start to the day.

GCP Girl: What inspires you?
SM: In work - providing for my family. In theater - having an outlet to make work worth going through. In life - my wife (hey look, I'm a poet!).

GCP Girl: Tell me one thing about yourself you would like everyone to know!
SM: "Pippin" has been a good experience for me. Naturally, as a novice to theater performance, I had inhibitions about certain things (dancing--for example). Well, as I hope you get to see -- this show requires you to let go of those inhibitions or else it just won't work. It's been a lot of fun, and I think you'll enjoy it. I also want everyone to know how proud I am of Ashley. She was very unsure of how she would be as the Vocal Director of a GCP production; and I think she did a fantastic job. I am sure that you all will agree when you come see the show.

Thanks, Scott!  See you all around...
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment