Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"Pippin" Cast Profile: Brandon Telg


"Pippin" Player Brandon Telg waxes philosophical about guitars, new ideas, and the meaning of Pippin's journey.

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
BT: I have been in "Loot" and "The Secret Garden" and tech crewed for "It's a Wonderful Life" at GCP. Also recently, I stage managed "Falsettos" at the Acrosstown. I don't know how far back to go with this, but I will mention that I was in a performance group similar to STOMP last year and I had some lead roles in plays at my high school. But that's probably more information than you wanted.

GCP Girl: What was your favorite show or role?
BT: My favorite role that I've played was easily Fred Graham in "Kiss Me, Kate." Back at my high school, I was able to play the lead in this musical and it was a blast.

GCP Girl: What do you feel is your area of expertise - singing, acting or dancing?
BT: Out of those three choices... acting.

GCP Girl: What does your "Pippin" icon represent?
BT: Well, I drew a guitar but since it was not easy to graphically reproduce, it has been changed to the Chinese symbol for guitar. I chose this because when we were doing character work one night, we were told to come up with a backstory for our "Players" and mine was essentially the ghost of a Nashville rock and roller. Then we were told to draw a graphic that represents our character. So I thought that meant something that represents the character I created. So, a guitar.

GCP Girl: What do you hope people take away from "Pippin"?
BT: Tough question. The story is a very multifaceted one and I mostly just hope that people "get it," but I think the message that no man is an island pervades through the story. Pippin wants to go his own way, not really caring much about anyone else in his life but himself, only to discover in the end that a person has to care about others to live a fulfilled life.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
BT: Leaf Coneybear in "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee." I feel that I can play the awkward, goofy and sincere character type well and this character is exactly that. Besides, that show in general would just be fun to work on in any capacity. Or Robert in "Company." I'd have to get a bit older to be able to pull this one off, but he has some amazing songs to sing.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite quote?
BT: "Every disease is a musical problem, every cure is a musical solution."-Novalis

GCP Girl: What inspires you?
BT: New ideas inspire me. Well, let me rephrase that, since there are really no new ideas under the sun. Learning about things I don't know inspires me. Discovering how much we all really have in common inspires me. The radio program "This American Life" inspires me.

GCP Girl: Tell me one thing about yourself you would like everyone to know!
BT: Starting in the fall, I will be attending UCF. I have been accepted into their BFA Stage Management program, so I am very excited about that.

Thanks, Brandon! Preview is tomorrow! Look for the story in the Gainesville Sun!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment