Friday, March 20, 2009

"Pippin" Cast Profile: Malik Grady


"Pippin" Leading Player Malik Grady opens up on Opening Night...

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
MG: My debut was as the only "brother" (but not a brother) in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," then I was in "Hot Mikado" as Pooh-Bah, a storyteller in the Star Center's "Once on this Island," assistant director and a performer in "Hello, Dolly!," The Wolf and Cinderella's Father in "Into the Woods" at the Star Center, Robert the Butler in "Jane Eyre," Crachit, Marley and Ivory in "They Sing Xmas up in Harlem," and the Chessmaster Gregory in the 2009 Hoggetowne Medieval Faire.

GCP Girl: What was your favorite role?
MG: My favorite role until now was Pooh-Bah in "Hot Mikado" alongside the sublime Golden Apple award-winning tandem of Thomas Sanders and Susan Christophy as Ko-Ko and Katisha, respectively.

GCP Girl: What do you feel is your area of expertise – singing, acting or dancing?
MG: My expertise is getting along with just about anyone and usually managing not to be the weak link in shows.

GCP Girl: What does your "Pippin" icon represent?
MG: My Pippin icon is a stick figure representation of my hat coming down over me with only one eye -- an EVIL eye, to show my status as a tempter and trickster.

GCP Girl: What do you hope people take away from "Pippin"?
MG: I hope that people come away from "Pippin" convinced that the GCP has turned a page in terms of taking risks and doing different types of plays and musicals.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
MG: My dream role is Othello -- to be able to THE iconic black role and do it well, alongside great actors would be unbelievable.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite quote?
MG: I'll give you 2 quotes from the aforementioned "Othello":
"...then must you speak of one that loved not wisely but too well..."
"...it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

GCP Girl: What inspires you?
MG: I'm inspired by the possibility of doing God's Will and bearing witness by my life to those I would help of His Power, Will and Way of Life.

GCP Girl: Tell me one thing about yourself you would like everyone to know!
MG: I am left-handed.

Thanks, Malik! Reviews from last night's preview performance have all been excellent! Break a leg tonight!  If you want to catch up with the cast after the show, they will be making the traditional appearance at Karoake Night at Napolatano's on Tower Road!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment