Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"White Christmas" cast profile: Susan Christophy

Susan Christophy fulfills a lifelong holiday wish as Betty Haynes in "White Christmas," which previews tonight at the Vam York!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
SC: I am playing Betty Haynes. Betty is the older sister, mother-hen type. Where her sister Judy is impulsive, Betty is cautious and careful, especially in matters of the heart.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SC: I'm a regular at the GCP. I've been a board member at GCP for the past 8 years and have recently joined the Executive Board, so I'm around a lot. I was last seen in the Apple Award-winning musical "Thouroghly Modern Millie" as Muzzy. Other shows include: "Daddy's Dying, Who's Got the Will" (Lorraine), "Hello, Dolly!," (Dolly), "Oliver!" (Nancy), "The Hot Mikado" (Katisha), and many others. I'm often either choreographing ("Rent," "The Producers," "Disney's Beauty and the Beast") or directing ("Anything Goes," also choreographed, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," "Ain't Misbehavin'")....I am also the Performing Arts Director at Gainesville High, so I pretty much never stop!

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "White Christmas"?
SC: "White Christmas" is my favorite movie-musical of all time. I grew up on it!! Bing Crosby looks and sings like my Daddy, so it was always like I was watching him perform. I feel like my family may have disowned me if I hadn't taken a shot at playing Betty.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
SC: "Count Your Blessings." It is the most sincere and heartwarming moment for Bob and Betty.

GCP Girl: Finish this sentence: "I know it's the holiday season when..."?
SC: I personally put Christmas music on in the car.... it's not real until that happens.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite winter holiday tradition?
SC: Every year I have a "White Christmas" party where all my friends and family come over in their pajamas; I cook chili, everybody brings desserts and we all watch the movie-musical "White Christmas." It inevitably turns into a sing-a-long. My favorite part of the night is watching the "newbies," those who have never watched the movie, fall in love with it. I guess this year the party may feel a little different.....

GCP Girl: What are you looking forward to the most about performing in "White Christmas"?
SC: Bringing to life the musical that everyone loves. Also, I love falling in love with Bob Wallace every night beacause Stephen Griffin is so lovable and he brings such a tenderness to the character. The audience is going to be falling in love with him just as I do.

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
SC: I am very eclectic in tastes, so while I love the new musicals that are out, I also love some of the classics. I would love for our theatre to bring the musical "Ragtime" to life, or the gut-wrenching musical "Next to Normal," but I would also love to "kick it old school" with the musical "A Chorus Line" or even "South Pacific."

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
SC: I can't wait for everyone to meet Victoria Sexton, the little fireball who plays my sister Judy. She is an amazing addition to the GCP family!! Also, you might have a new favorite leading man once you meet Stephen Griffin on stage. This isn't completely the same old "White Christmas" -- be ready for some new song and dance numbers -- but the favorites are there too!!

Thanks, Susan! You can see Susan and the rest of the cast make some holiday magic when "White Christmas" opens this weekend! The box office opens for the preview performance tonight at 7 p.m. Preview tickets are $5 for general admission.

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment