Monday, November 19, 2012

"Chasing Manet" auditions are this weekend!

Wow, it's a big week around here! Thanksgiving, the preview and opening of "White Christmas," and to round off the festivities, an opportunity to audition for our next show, "Chasing Manet"!

Director Jan Cohen gave me the lowdown on the show and what to expect at auditions, which are Sunday, November 25, and Monday, November 26, at 7 p.m. at the Vam York Theater.

GCP Girl: Why did you want to direct "Chasing Manet"?
JC: I was attracted to "Chasing Manet" because it seemed so true to me.  We tend to warehouse older people, without recognizing that, just because they use a wheelchair or can't see as well as they used to, they are still the same human beings they always were.  With flaws, yes--that does not "go away" with age.  But also with desires and likes and dislikes, all of which need to be respected.  I liked the fact that this script showed both the gloomy truth of a nursing home situation, but also the indomitable spirit of its residents as they outsmart the 'young' folks. It also happens to be a comedy--good for January viewing!

GCP Girl: What is your vision for this show?
JC: I hope that we can make the audience laugh and cry along with our leading ladies, cheer for them and take away a respect for others, no matter what their ages. I, for one, am now of the age myself that I occasionally get called "dear" in the supermarket--when this happens, I want to put on my best British accent and quote Lettice Douffet from "Lettice and Lovage," viz--"I am not 'dear' to you.  I am not dear at all."  I hope the story also offers some food for thought, but with really good lighting!

GCP Girl: What are you looking for in those who audition?
JC: I need strong character actors for all of the parts--the worst thing that could happen with this play would be to present caricatures instead of real people, the whole point being that old people are still REAL people, just with more years behind them.  It will also be helpful if everyone is really good at memorizing lines.

GCP Girl: Why should people audition for "Chasing Manet"?
JC: This is a chance for actors of a certain age to play characters of probably an even older age!  And only one person sings...and nobody dances.  Not that that is not fun, but not everyone has the ability to play in musicals.  I also guarantee--we will laugh, and we will have off during Christmas week.

Thanks, Jan! For a description of the show and characters, see our Facebook event page. Hope to see everyone there!

No comments:

Post a Comment