Friday, November 23, 2012

"White Christmas" cast profile: Giovanni Barrio

Giovanni Barrio plays gruff General Waverly, whose Vermont inn needs a dose of holiday magic, in "White Christmas," opening tonight at the Vam York!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
GB: My character is General Henry Waverly. He's a retired WWII general who owns the fledgling Columbia Inn up in Vermont, but has never really let go of his old army ways. He's very gruff, stern and tends to be impatient, especially when things are not running according to his strict regulations, but underneath all that he is fiercely loyal and protective of anyone under his leadership or in his care.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
GB: I've done "Rent" and "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" with GCP, and "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," "It's a Wonderful Life" and "1776" with the High Springs Community Theater.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "White Christmas"?
GB: It's been over a year since my last show and I was missing it. I also wanted to try a different kind of show than I normally do, and WC was very different.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
GB: My favorite musical number is Martha's song, "Let Me Sing and I'm Happy." It pretty much summarizes why I love musical theater so much. If anything I perform touches someone in the audience, I'm happy. That, and Kelley sounds awesome singing it.

GCP Girl: Finish this sentence: "I know it's the holiday season when..."?
GB: Starbucks busts out the Gingerbread Latte.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite winter holiday tradition?
GB: Singing Christmas carols. I especially like the older ones like "O Come O Come Emmanuel" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

GCP Girl: What are you looking forward to the most about performing in "White Christmas"?
GB: SNOW! I can't wait to see the audience's reaction. Oh wait, was that supposed to be a secret?

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
GB: "Next to Normal"! Or anything by Stephen Sondheim, and I mean anything!

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
GB: I'm singing in the show, I swear! You can't see me, because I'm backstage, but believe me I'm singing!

Thanks, Gio! Break a leg tonight!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment