Thursday, July 26, 2012

"Hairspray" cast profile: Kristin Mercer

Kristin Mercer's Velma Von Tussle relives her pageant days in "Hairspray"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
KM: Velma Von Tussle is the scheming producer of the Corny Collins Show and is definitely the show's villain!

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows, either at GCP or another theater.
KM: Favorite roles at the GCP include Mavis in "The Murder Room," Ruth in "Blithe Spirit," Marlene in "Daddy's Dyin'," Videllia Sparks in "Sugar Bean Sisters," Chelsea in "On Golden Pond," Truvy in "Steel Magnolias," Alice in "Squabbles," Penny in "You Can't Take it With You," and Nellie in "South Pacific."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Hairspray"?
KM: I love "Hairspray," Velma is a fabulous villainess role, I hadn't done a musical in many years and, finally, because I wanted to do a show with a couple of very dear friends.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show, and why?
KM: Well, "Miss Baltimore Crabs," of course!

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Hairspray"?
KM: It is just plain fun! People will leave their seats laughing with great show tunes playing "round and round" in their heads!

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
KM: I would love to see GCP do "Noises Off"!

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
KM: I was fortunate enough to do it when I played Nellie in "South Pacific."

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
KM: It means working with a group of people, who all share a similar passion, to create something wonderful. It means working together as a team. At its best, it means building relationships and sharing a lot of laughter and fun, while putting on a great show.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
KM: If I waited to come up with a really good answer I’d never send this back to you, GCP Girl!

Thanks, Kristin!  Keep Corny in line for us!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment