Friday, July 13, 2012

"Hairspray" cast profile: Danielle Pagliara

Danielle Pagliara takes on her dream role of "hair hopper" Tracy Turnblad in "Hairspray," opening tonight at the Vam York!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
DP: I play Tracy Turnblad! Tracy is an outgoing, talented, spirited young woman. She stands up for what she believes and she is herself 100% of the time, regardless of the consequences. She is an incredibly brave, strong character…it’s just overshadowed by her fantastic hair.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
DP: I’ve been working pretty consistently at the Gainesville Community Playhouse. I’ve only been onstage in British comedies: "See How They Run" and "The Murder Room." I’m usually decked in blacks, working on "Pippin," "Secret Garden," "Jayne Eyre," "It’s a Wonderful Life," "Trip to Bountiful," "Shakespeare in Hollywood," "Singin’ in the Rain," "Intimate Apparel," and more. This is my first lead and my first musical!

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Hairspray"?
DP: I auditioned for "Hairspray" because I love the energy of the show, I love the atmosphere, and I am in love with the character of Tracy. Like I said, she is so brave and so independent, but she’s kind of cloaked in this fun-loving, big-haired craziness, so she’s so much more complex. I love the character, and I’ve always wanted a crack at her. I know I’m not the strongest or most experienced singer, so I took lessons for almost two months at the Academy of Music and Art with Rebecca Pethes. We worked really hard to prepare for the auditions. I really believe in what John Waters said. He said he couldn’t wait for this show to make it to high schools and community theaters, because finally the fat girls and drag queens could be the stars. I just really love this show and these characters, so I did everything I could to be a part of it!

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
DP: Oh goodness, only one?! I can’t pick just one. I love "I Know Where I’ve Been;" Kathy is so amazing! I also love "I Can Hear the Bells," because it’s such a silly, ridiculous school girl fantasy that you can’t help but giggle.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Hairspray"?
DP: Why shouldn’t people see "Hairspray"?? This show has such an amazingly talented cast with an enormously creative production team. Combine those with laugh out loud lines, super fun songs, and beautiful costumes and sets, you’ve got the makings for a great show. But what makes "Hairspray" different is that, underneath all the fun, you have a wonderful message of love and acceptance that spans all generations.

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
DP: "Newsies," "Chicago," "Avenue Q" and "Spring Awakening"! (Hey, I can dream, right?)

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
DP: I stand by what I said in my bio for both "See How They Run" and "The Murder Room"…my dream role is Tracy Turnblad.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
DP: To me, community theatre is family. When you work with people for hours every single day, you become a family. Sometimes you love each other, sometimes you cry, sometimes you laugh, but in the end, you’ve got each other’s backs and everyone is out for the same goal: an amazing show.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
DP: The sets are magnificent, the costumes are gorgeous, the sets are spectacular, the crew is phenomenal, the production team is genius, the cast is amazing, and this show is nothing short of epic. I can’t wait for everyone to come see this show!!

Thanks, Danielle! Break a leg!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment