Saturday, July 14, 2012

"Hairspray" cast profile: Belle Kissinger

Belle Kissinger makes her GCP debut as Tammy, one of the "nicest kids in town," in "Hairspray"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
BK: I play Tammy, one of the Corny Collins Council dancers, in “Hairspray.” Tammy is not really developed in the show, so I made up a little life story for her. I portray her as a shy, nice girl who struggles between doing what she thinks is right (fighting for integration) and doing what Mrs. Von Tussle and the other Corny Council members want her to think (that blacks and white should be separate always).

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
BK: This is my first GCP show, but I have performed in a variety of different places. I am very involved with the performing arts program at my high school, P.K. Yonge. I was recently in PK’s spring musical, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” where I played the part of Olive. I am lucky enough to have grown up in a performing family, so I have been in many shows. I have performed the roles of Annie ("Annie"), Lucy ("Jekyll and Hyde"), Mayzie ("Seussical the Musical"), Eponine ("Les Miserables"), Jo ("Little Women"), Audrey ("Little Shop of Horrors"), and some others.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Hairspray"?
BK: I auditioned for “Hairspray” because it is one of my favorite musicals. When I saw it on Broadway, I just fell in love with it. The performers seemed like they were having so much fun. When I heard GCP was doing it, I was so excited. 

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
BK: My favorite musical number in this show is most likely “Nicest Kids in Town” because it’s so upbeat and fun. We have to be so bubbly and cheesy, it’s so much fun. 

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Hairspray"?
BK: I think people should come see “Hairspray” because it’s a fun, feel-good show. It’s a show that everyone will enjoy. It’s a perfect way to cap off the summer. 

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in upcoming seasons?
BK: I would love for GCP to do a Shakespearean production, especially “A Midsummer’s Night Dream.” A musical I would love for GCP to produce is “Legally Blonde” or “In the Heights.” 

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
BK: My dream roles are Reno Sweeny from “Anything Goes” and Vanessa from “In the Heights.”

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
BK: In my opinion, community theatre is a way for people who share the same passion for theatre to get involved in a safe, familiar, and fun environment. 

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
BK: I aspire to go to the Boston Conservatory to pursue a BFA in Musical Theatre. I also have a Nemo toe (:

Thanks, Belle!  Opening night was a sell-out performance - do you have your tickets yet?

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment