Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Hairspray" cast profile: Caitlin Hunter

Caitlin Hunter of "Hairspray" talks social change, Shakespeare and her dream role (you'll never guess)!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
CH: I'm in the chorus, and I am Tracy's understudy.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows, either at GCP or another theater.
CH: I've been doing theatre at GCP since I was about 5 years old, but this is my first show at GCP since "Peter Pan" a few years ago. I'm excited to be back onstage with such a great cast!

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Hairspray"?
CH: Mostly because I knew a lot of people who were auditioning and thought it would be a fun show to do. Also, I hadn't been on stage in about two years, and I missed it so much!

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show, and why?
CH: I really like "It Takes Two." It's sweet and funny at the same time, and really sets the pace for the romantic aspect of the show. It's just cute, and I can't help but smile during it. Everyone is so in character and into what's going on onstage. What's not to love?

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Hairspray"?
CH: Even though this show takes place "way back" in the '60s, a lot of the messages that shine through are very relevant today. The idea of loving whomever you want to love regardless of social norms, the idea of loving yourself for who you are and embracing the star inside of you, these are things that people need to be reminded of. We live in a place where we are constantly being told what to do, how to do it, and how to feel about it. "Hairspray" reminds people that change is always coming, and just because it might be scary doesn't mean it's not worth it or the right thing.

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
CH: I would love to see GCP tackle Shakespeare. I think we have a lot of innovative thinkers at this theater who could help bring The Bard into the 21st century.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
CH: I would love to be Elder Cunningham from "The Book Of Mormon." If they ever gender-swapped that show, I would be the first to sign up for auditions. He's just so funny and out there, but with a good heart. He's a very deep character without seeming like it, and I think it would be a fun challenge.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
CH: To me, community theater is a safe place. It's a place where you can go to ask for help, and offer it. As actors, we don't get paid. Tech doesn't get paid. We do it because we love it. I think that comes through in our shows at GCP. The love and passion that goes into each performance knocks me off my feet every time. I feel so lucky to have grown up in that environment. It's nice to drive past the theater and think of all the of memories that I've made there.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
CH: Once again, I get to share the stage with my daddy! He's the one who got me involved in theatre, and I couldn't be more thankful. I love that it's our ''thing'' and that he has the Broadway station on Sirius XM programmed in his car just for me (preset number two!). The theatre has brought us closer and I'm just glad that we have this to do together!

Thanks, Caitlin!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment