Sunday, September 6, 2009

"Shakespeare in Hollywood" Cast Profile: Graham Zinger


Graham Zinger plays Daryl, Jack Warner's yes-man, who is surprised to find himself as the object of affection of not one but two determined women...

GCP Girl: Tell me about your previous theatre experience.
GZ: I've been acting since I was very little, maybe eight or so, nothing serious. I started pursuing theatre seriously once I started high school. So far I've had some pretty interesting roles; my favorite would have to be Margaret Meade in "Hair." If you don't know about that part, I was basically a cross dresser and got to sing a solo completely in falsetto. I am also very active in my school's Thespian Society and have competed at Districts and State for the past three years and have gotten all excellents and superiors. This is my third show at the GCP, but I haven't done a show for about four years.

GCP Girl: Tell me a little about your character.
GZ: I play the role of Daryl, who is the yes-man to Jack Warner. I mostly do whatever Warner tells me to, and most of my action comes in the third act and you'll see what I mean by "action" when you see the play.

GCP Girl: What was your biggest challenge in this show?
GZ: I thought it was going to be tough being in a show with a bunch of veterans of the GCP stage and not really knowing anyone, but everyone was welcoming and amazing. The real challenge for me was trying to be more militaristic. Pat wants me to stand up very straight and be stiff, which is very different from my usual posture.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite Shakespearean play?
GZ: It's not really a Shakespeare play, but I read "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern" last year in my English class and I really liked it. I'm kind of into absurdest theatre.

GCP Girl: What do you want people to know about "Shakespeare in Hollywood"?
GZ: I want people to know that this is a action-packed show, but there is a little bit of waiting until we get to that point. Also, it's a great show with an amazing cast and we've all worked very hard to make this show the best we could, and that we just want everyone to enjoy it.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
GZ: My dream role would probably be Melchior in "Spring Awakening." I have the right voice type for it, and the music is pretty but also rocks. It would be such a fun role to play, but a few of the scenes could be a bit awkward. I was Charlie Brown in "Snoopy" when I was 10 and I've always wanted to repeat that role.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
GZ: I think community theatre is exactly what it says it is, a community. When I come to rehearsals, auditions, and shows, I feel welcome and I know a lot of the people there. Let's face it, most theatre people are a little offbeat, and what's better than getting together with a group of people that share the same passion for theatre that you do?

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you'd like everyone to know!
GZ: I'm single. But seriously, I guess I would just like everyone to know that I am definitely cooler than Daryl.

Thanks, Graham! Looking forward to seeing you in action!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment