Saturday, September 5, 2009

"Shakespeare in Hollywood" Cast Profile: Laurel Ring


GCP musical theatre performer Laurel Ring branches into comedy as Olivia Darnell, a small town girl with stars in her eyes...

GCP Girl:
Tell me about your previous theatre experience.
LR: I've been singing and dancing on stage since I was four years old. At the GCP, I've been in productions of "Music Man," "Hot Mikado," and "Hello, Dolly!," and I played Rapunzel in the Star Center's "Into the Woods" last year. I also have been a regular soprano soloist in Handel's "Messiah."

GCP Girl: Tell me a little about your character.
LR: Olivia Darnell is a starlet about to appear in her first movie role, and she's completely star-struck by Hollywood -- and later, Oberon. She is based on Olivia deHavilland, who played the role of Hermia in the actual movie in 1935.

GCP Girl: What was your biggest challenge in this show?
LR: Where do I start?! This show was full of challenges for me, but if I have to choose one, it would be the last scene. There's a lot of pressure there to make it emotional and poignant, and I am not sure I am over stressing about it yet!

GCP Girl: What is your favorite Shakespearean play?
LR: The 10-year-old in me still loves "Romeo and Juliet" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream," since those are the plays I used to rehearse by myself from my grandmother's huge Shakespeare volume. As an adult, my favorite is "Much Ado About Nothing." I love the relationship between Beatrice and Benedick.

GCP Girl: What do you want people to know about "Shakespeare in Hollywood"?
LR: This show will not be what you expect, but you will love it. It really is a funny show with an outstanding cast.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
LR: Christine in "Phantom of the Opera." I am dying to hit those notes! On the non-musical side, I would love to do some real Shakespeare...hint, hint...

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
LR: Personally, my return to theatre three years ago meant rediscovering a part of myself I had not realized was missing. My life is busier today than ever, but the quality has improved dramatically. In a larger sense, community theatre helps to bring culture and entertainment to the world.

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you'd like everyone to know!
LR: Everyone should know how thankful I am, every day, to be part of this group. I owe huge thanks to our director, Pat Thomson, who is so patient with me; to the cast, for being wonderful; and to our dressers, who are kind enough to put up with my whirlwind costume changes!

Thanks, Laurel!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment