Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"Pippin" Cast Profile: Anna Olcese


Player Anna Olcese lights up the "Pippin" stage with smooth Fosse moves!

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
AO: I was Miss Carter in "It's a Wonderful Life" at the GCP and stage manager for "Aural Odyssey" at SFC. Many, many moons ago, I was involved in dozens of other productions,
but it was so very long ago that some members of the cast were not yet born.

GCP Girl: What was your favorite show?
AO: I'm having a blast playing my character in "Pippin." I think it's because I can just let go of my inhibitions, while having a great time dancing and singing.

GCP Girl: What do you feel is your area of expertise - singing, acting or dancing?
AO: I'm definitely an actor, first and foremost. I've danced my whole life and I'm trained in classical ballet; but, I had never "officially" danced jazz until this semester at SFC. I'm convinced I cannot sing.

GCP Girl: What does your "Pippin" icon represent?
AO: It is supposed to be a sort of yin-yang symbol, because I'm a Cancer and my astrological sign kind of looks like that. Also, I thought that my character in "Pippin" is someone who is very different from how I appear in public life, but not too different from how I am in private.
We all have two sides to our personalities...

GCP Girl: What do you hope people take away from "Pippin"?
AO: The idea that life is wonderful if you make it that way. We have free will, and with that comes great responsibility. Temptations will always exist, people will always try to stereotype you, lie to you, make you believe less of yourself, and lead you down the wrong paths, but it's up to you to decide how you will live your life. Be who you are and be happy with that. Aside from all that, I'd like people to think, "Damn, that is one fine cast! Where'd they get all those
fantastic actors?"

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
AO: Velma Kelly in "Chicago." I think it's for the same reason I like playing the saucy character in "Pippin." She's different than I am, but playing someone so opposite is great because I can really sink my teeth into the role and go beyond my comfort zone. However, I will NEVER play Velma Kelly because I do not possess that kind of vocal talent. That, to my dog's dismay, does not prevent me from singing "All That Jazz" around the house or on our daily walks. :)

GCP Girl: What is your favorite quote?
AO: "What you are is God's gift to you. What you become is your gift to God."

GCP Girl: What inspires you?
AO: My daughter.

GCP Girl: Tell me one thing about yourself you would like everyone to know!
AO: I married the first boy I ever kissed, and I still feel that kind of electricity every time I see him. Guess some things are meant to be...

Thanks, Anna!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment