Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" cast profile: Gerri Sterne

Gerri Sterne is ready for some female empowerment in "Thoroughly Modern Millie"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
GS: I am playing Miss Flannery and Dorothy Parker. Miss Flannery is the head stenographer at Sincere Trust Insurance Company. She is a little mean and definitely quirky. Dorothy Parker is a real person, a writer famed for her sparkling wit, and alcohol and drug abuse.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Thoroughly Modern Millie"?
GS: I auditioned because I really love the show. It's fun and cutesy and a total crowd-pleaser. I also knew that it would be a really fun experience to be a part of a show that Dan [Christophy] was directing.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
GS: I love "Forget About the Boy." It is a total female-empowerment song that I think a lot of women can relate to, myself and my character included.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Millie"?
GS: Millie is a great show for all audiences, definitely the picture most would get when they think "musical." I think there is a great lesson that can be taken away as well. Millie goes through a transformation throughout the show, realizing love, not money, is the most important thing in life.

GCP Girl: "Thoroughly Modern Millie" is based on a 1960s movie starring Mary Tyler Moore and Julie Andrews. What other movies would you like to see turned into stage musicals?
GS: I feel like the trend lately has been to do the opposite – turning a stage musical into a movie, with "Rock of Ages" and "Les Miserables" on the horizon. I would love to see "Hocus Pocus" on stage. It one of my favorite movies of all time and there are already a few songs in there; I think adapting it to a stage musical would be a challenge (what with the flying on broomsticks), but it would definitely be something I would want to see.

GCP Girl: For Millie, moving to New York City on her own is a big adventure. What do you dream of doing?
GS: I have to say that Millie's dreams are the same as mine in this instance. I am graduating from UF in May with a degree in graphic design, and I really want to find a job and move to New York City!

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
GS: I would love to be the Baker's Wife in "Into the Woods." In fact, I would just love to do that show in general!

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
GS: GCP rules! Come see "Thoroughly Modern Millie!" Buy your tickets…RIGHT NOW!

Thanks, Gerri! She's right - you should buy your tickets right now! See you soon!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment