Friday, March 23, 2012

"Thoroughly Modern Millie" cast profile: Sissy Bell

Sissy Bell takes on her dream role of Millie Dillmount in "Thoroughly Modern Millie"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
SB: My name is Sissy Bell, and I am playing Millie Dillmount. She is a young girl from Kansas who moves to New York to experience the "modern" life. She's very driven to achieve what she thinks will bring her happiness, but figuring out what makes her happy is her real challenge.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SB: My first show at GCP was "Carousel" in 1996, and I've done many a show since then. Most recently, I played Maureen in "Rent."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Thoroughly Modern Millie"?
SB: At no time did I ever consider not auditioning for this show. I saw it the year it came out on Broadway and absolutely loved the show and especially the music. I've been pretending I was Millie since I saw it, so when I found out they were doing the show here, I was beyond excited.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
SB: My favorite number to perform in the show is probably "Forget About the Boy." It's the token angry woman song, which is always a lot of fun to perform. My favorite to watch might be "As Long As I'm Here With You." Muzzy's Boys are just too precious in that number.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Millie"?
SB: It's fun! There's great music, great dancing, beautiful costumes and a fabulous set. It's everything you think of when you think "Broadway."

GCP Girl: "Thoroughly Modern Millie" is based on a 1960s movie starring Mary Tyler Moore and Julie Andrews. What other movies would you like to see turned into stage musicals?
SB: For years, I have been saying that they should turn "Anastasia" (the animated movie) into a stage musical! The music is just so good, and I only can imagine what amazing choreography and sets could come from it. Also, because I love it when men sing so much, "Oceans 11" the musical. I think that one has potential. Oh! And "Moulin Rouge." It would just be killer on stage.

GCP Girl: For Millie, moving to New York City on her own is a big adventure. What do you dream of doing?
SB: Coincidentally, I have the same big dream as Millie. I'm hoping to move to New York this summer or fall, but not to marry rich. I've always wanted to have a go at the theatre scene in New York, and it's now or never!

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
SB: Millie used to be one of them, and now I can happily cross that one off my list. I would love to play Eponine one day. Also, Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady." I've also recently developed this urge to be in "A Chorus Line." If they did end up turning "Anastasia" into a musical, then Anastasia. It's gonna happen, folks!

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
SB: "Green glass love" is really difficult to say!

Thanks, Sissy! Tonight is opening night, so be sure to call the box office today and get your tickets!!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment