Friday, March 22, 2013

Matt Sherman plays Franklin Hart, Jr., the original Horrible Boss, in "9 to 5," opening tonight at the Vam York Theater!

GCP Girl: Tell me your name, your character, and a bit about your character.
MS: I am playing Franklin Hart, Jr. Mr. Hart is a chauvinist pig and the worst kind of social climber. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, which is a good thing, so the audience can accept the "beat down" the leading ladies dish to him throughout the show. It will be a bit of a physically demanding role, too, and the audience will appreciate the battering I will be taking on (and above!) the stage.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
MS: I last appeared on stage as tycoon and Yalie Eli Whitney in GCP's production of "Anything Goes." That came about after some Gainesville High School shows with my family, prompted by my daughter Alex Sherman's drama work at GHS. It was more fun than I remembered to be on stage again after the many years since I attended high school, so I stuck with it. It's great to be part of the extended GCP family now and to have fellow UF employees on stage with me, too.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "9 to 5"?
MS: I auditioned for "9 to 5" since my family wanted me out of the house more!

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
MS: A favorite musical number from the show is "Change It," it's uplifting and I know the audience will appreciate the talented cast who sings it. Many people know that Dolly Parton has recorded or
written over 3,000 songs; she has created some strong harmothemes and leitmotifs for "9 to 5: The Musical." The music is very catchy and fun for the audience if challenging to sing with complicated harmonies and high ranges.

GCP Girl: What are you looking forward to the most about performing in "9 to 5"?
MS: The rehearsal schedule got tough and that's fine -- we want to put on a great show for the audience nightly -- but I was starting to feel the effects of cleaning the stage with my back each day. For showtime, I'm looking forward to a couple of special effects including gunplay!

GCP Girl: Why should people see this show?
MS:
GCP guests will appreciate how times have changed in the workplace since "9 to 5" 's 1979 setting. Come expecting to laugh and feel good but also to be genuinely moved by coworkers who care for each other, even if they always hate their boss.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
MS: I have been collecting memorabilia from the world of James Bond for more than 30 years. Our Gainesville home has appeared on TV internationally several times, and I'm taking a group of fans on a Bond-themed cruise this April!

Thanks, Matt! Break a leg tonight!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment