Friday, December 16, 2011

"A Christmas Story" cast profile: Victoria Gregory

Victoria Gregory tries to keep her class in line as Miss Shields in "A Christmas Story"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
VG: I play the part of Miss Shields, the voice of Schwartz's mother, and the Wicked Witch of the West. Miss Shields is Ralphie and his classmates' teacher. She can tell when her students are up to no good!

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
VG: I took a break from acting for about 9 years, and last year found my passion again, at Acrosstown Repertory Theatre. I played Gina and Intellectual Girl in "Play it Again, Sam!" My favorite past roles have been Michael in "Peter Pan" in a high school production at Oak Hall, Mother Nature (the narrator) in "A Journey to Narnia," and Hermia in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at The Hippodrome's Summer Spectacular program.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "A Christmas Story"?
VG: I've grown up loving and watching the movie, and always tune into the 24-hour broadcast of "A Christmas Story" on Thanksgiving Day. Growing up in Gainesville, and being in the GCP audience since I was little girl, it's been a dream to be in a show here. This was my 5th audition at GCP, and after auditioning for a couple musicals in the past, I'm definitely much better suited for straight shows! "Rock Band" singing is the only place I can seem to (sort of) carry a tune. =-)

GCP Girl: What is your favorite scene in the show?
VG: The ending. You'll just have to see it to know what I'm talking about!

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
VG: I've finally gotten to see how GCP works behind the scenes! I've always been curious how GCP puts such a professional show together. From the lighting, costumes, sets, meeting all the cast and crew- whose names and faces I recognized from previous productions- it's all been incredible. It takes a lot of hard-working people to put on a show here, and everyone has been very welcoming and sweet to me. It's been lovely to share the experience with my boyfriend, Adam, who plays Ralph as an adult, too. I'm thrilled to be a part of "A Christmas Story."

GCP Girl: Finish this sentence: "I know it's the holiday season when..."
VG: ...I smell cinnamon brooms in the air.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite winter holiday tradition?
VG: Baking and decorating Christmas cookies, making mulled cider and wine, watching holiday movies, like "The Bishop's Wife," "White Christmas," and of course, "A Christmas Story."

GCP Girl: In "A Christmas Story," Ralphie tells us about his most memorable Christmas. Tell me about your most memorable holiday.
VG: The best Christmas present I ever received was last year from Adam. It was a ring and bracelet. Sapphire (my birthstone) and diamond set in white gold. I had never had a ring that actually fit my tiny size 4 fingers! It was our first Christmas together, and Adam was leaving to go to New York to study acting for several months. He knew it would help me to have something to hold on to while he was away. I wear them everyday.

GCP Girl: What are you looking forward to the most this holiday season?
VG: Making a gingerbread house! I haven't built one since elementary school, and I love the idea of having a craft project and dessert in one!

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
VG: I received the role in "A Christmas Story" two weeks before opening night. Unfortunately, Madeleine, the actress originally cast, couldn't continue with the production for medical reasons. I rejoiced getting my first role at GCP, but I'm very sad it's under those circumstances. I only hope to do the role justice for Madeleine, Thomas, and Betty.

Thanks, Victoria! "A Christmas Story" is drawing to a close -- see it this weekend!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment