Friday, December 7, 2012

"White Christmas" cast profile: Stephen Griffin

Stephen Griffin lives the dream by stepping into Bing Crosby's shoes in "White Christmas"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character. 
SG: I play the role of Bob Wallace. Bob is the better-looking half of the Bob Wallace-Phil Davis duo. He is a kindhearted, ex-Army Captain that teams up with Phil after the war to form a world famous song and dance team. While Bob may be a star onstage, he has a few social problems when it comes to the ladies. He's often found putting his foot in his mouth.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows. 
SG: This is my fourth show at the GCP, after "Rent," "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Hairspray." The GCP has taught me everything I know about performing and much more beyond that.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "White Christmas"? 
SG: When I was in high school, I would often jokingly tell my friends that I was going to be in a musical, and if I had to choose a show and character to play, it would be Bob Wallace in "White Christmas." I've grown up watching the movie at least once every year. This is truly a dream come true.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show? 
SG: My favorite numbers would have to be "Count Your Blessings" and "Blue Skies." "Count Your Blessings" because it's been one of my favorite songs to sing long before this show. "Blue Skies" is also an awesome song to sing, and although I haven't seen it yet, I'm sure it looks really awesome with the cast dancing behind me. That is also another dream come true. This show has been full of them for me.

GCP Girl: Finish this sentence: "I know it's the holiday season when..." 
SG: My mom starts decorating. She has 13 trees up this year, and every room has its own theme. I just love taking down and putting up all the boxes every year.... my fingers are crossed.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite winter holiday tradition? 
SG: Along with watching "White Christmas," I also really enjoy hanging ornaments on the tree, especially this year with the addition of a very special lady! Also Christmas lunch, we do it big and have a whole melting pot of family and friends over to join us. If you need a place to spend Christmas day, let me know, all are welcome.

GCP Girl: What are you looking forward to the most about performing in "White Christmas"? 
SG: The thing I look forward to every night is blessing everyone in the audience. Whether it be a song that touches them or just being at the theater with their loved ones, I hope everyone leaves the show with a warm heart and a little Christmas spirit. 

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
SG: I would love to see "Chicago" and "Into the Woods" come to the GCP.  I know we have the talent to do so both on stage and behind the scenes. I think we also need a "Rent" reunion!  

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know! 
SG: If you have ever thought about doing theater, in any fashion, don't hesitate any longer. Find an upcoming show that you have time for and audition. My good friend challenged me to "Live the Dream" and that gave me the motivation to audition for "Rent." It's one of the best things that has happened to me over the last year. I've learned things I never expected, and met some of the most important people in my life right now through the GCP, including my beautiful girlfriend, for those singles out there that want to meet some talented co-eds. I was a total novice when I first came in; the theater is full of extremely genuine and talented people that will help open doors you never thought possible.
Thank you, GCP family. I am, truly, Living The Dream.

Thanks, Stephen! We love you, too! (sniffle)

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment