Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"Rent" cast profile: Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson plays anarchist professor Tom Collins in "Rent" at the GCP!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
KA: I play Tom Collins. He is a professor who is fired for his theory on AIDS. He's also friends with Mark and Roger. Collins is a bit older then his friends, a very grounded person but a big teddy bear -- you know, like your favorite uncle who lets you get off the hook when you've done something bad. He falls in love with Angel. Their relationship is quite perfect; you could say it is love at first sight.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
KA: I've been acting since freshman year and feel in love with the art and the people in this art. My first show at the GCP was "The Wiz." I played the scarecrow. I was also in "Anything Goes" and "Soul of Broadway." I've done a lot of stuff at GHS, like "The Wizard of Oz" and "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Rent"?
KA: "Rent" holds a special place in my heart. My uncle loved the show and I grew up listening to the "Rent" soundtrack. It totally amazed me that GCP would have even thought about "Rent." It was something I was so afraid of, but with the help my friends and uncle, I auditioned.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
KA: Christmas Bells!! it's full of energy and color, it captures New York on stage, and it's pretty awesome.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
KA: Rehearsals are a blast. We always have a good time learning the songs and blocking. This is a great and funny cast; we have a ton of new faces in the cast, which is so awesome!

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Rent"?
KA: People should come see "Rent" because it's such a beautiful story of how we should live life and not worry about tomorrow, and that we should love each other. I feel like people will walk away from the theater not thinking of the things our society frowns on, but the message that Mr. Larson beautifully wrote. This is not your ordinary Gainesville Community Playhouse musical -- it's a real story telling the lives of real people, and I think people will walk away stunned on the message that it holds, like I do every night.

GCP Girl: Which musical would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
KA: "Rent" has opened so many doors for future productions. I would really like to see "La Cage Aux Folles," "A Chorus Line" or "Cats." ;)

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is thinking of auditioning for a show at GCP?
KA: DO IT. Trust me, the GCP is such a cool place, and we have fun while putting on such awesome shows.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
KA: Well......COME SEE "RENT"! please :)

Thanks, Kevin! "Rent" resumes its run tonight at the Vam York! Only two more weeks and tickets are selling fast!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment