Friday, October 7, 2011

"Rent" cast profile: Ashleigh Beatty

Ashleigh Beatty plays Mimi, who is not your typical girl next door...

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
AB: I'm playing Mimi, a streetwise girl who's pretty down on her luck financially. She's an "exotic dancer" or stripper, whatever you want to call it. Mimi has a tough exterior but underneath she has a soft side and longs for friendship and love.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
AB: I found my passion for theater about 10 years ago at GCP when I was in "Annie". Since then, I've done many shows at various theaters, but I've mostly been involved with my high school's theater at PK Yonge. In the new GCP theater I did "Singin' in the Rain" and now I'm very excited to be doing "Rent." :)

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Rent"?
AB: I auditioned for "Rent" because it is different from any other show I've done and I thought it would be a great experience. I also really loved all the music; I knew that those were songs that I could hear over and over again without getting sick of them.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
AB: I like all of them! It's hard to narrow it down. I really like doing "La Vie Boheme" a lot because it's such a high energy song and it's fun to perform, but I also really love "Glory" even though I'm not in it because it's such a pretty song. I always creep in the wings to listen to it.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
AB: Getting the opportunity to play Mimi has been amazing and I'm not even lying or being fake at all when I say that I've enjoyed every part of it, even when people make fun of me.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Rent"?
AB: I think that people should see “Rent” because it’s a show unlike any other. It has amazing music and a powerful storyline; a lot of times with musicals they have one or the other. This show is very different for the GCP, and I think that if people are open minded and willing to go out of their comfort zones a bit, they will fall in love with “Rent.” I hope that the audiences leave feeling entertained and moved, and with all the songs stuck in their heads.

GCP Girl: What musicals would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
AB: I personally would love to see "Little Shop of Horrors" or “Sweeney Todd.” I think that those would be a lot of fun to be in and to watch.

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is thinking of auditioning for a show at GCP?
AB: To just go for it. I almost didn't audition for "Rent" because I thought there was no way that I would get in, and now I'm soooooo happy I did!

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
AB: I don’t actually do heroin, or strip, or break into random guys' houses when I’m bored. I do however have the best ass below 14th Street....or so I’ve been told...

Thanks, Ashleigh! "Rent" is still going, but some shows are selling out, so get your tickets ASAP!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment