Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Rent" cast profile: Steven Butler

Steven Butler returns to the GCP stage as the effervescent Angel in "Rent"!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
SB: I play the role of Angel, who is a drag queen street percussionist living with AIDS. Angel is a creative, fun-loving, flamboyant character to all those who are lost, hurting, and in need of compassion.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
SB: I was last seen on the GCP stage as Moonface Martin in "Anything Goes." Some of my other shows include, "Joseph," "Baby," "La Cage Aux Folles," "The Pajama Game," "Cabaret" and "Emma la Dolce," just to name a few.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Rent"?
SB: Would you believe me if I told you that someone dared me? LOL

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
SB: Actually I have two favorite musical numbers: "Seasons of Love" and "Without You."

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
SB: My favorite part of this experience so far has been the joys and challenges of doing a rock opera, and the poignant part has been remembering I witnessed such a turbulent time in our society and the loss of many friends to AIDS.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Rent"?
SB: I would hope people would be able to recognize the various themes in the show that exist within every human life on this planet...the quest for love, connection, and understanding in the face of adversity.

GCP Girl: Which musicals would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
SB: "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and "Sweet Charity."

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is thinking of auditioning for a show at GCP?
SB: If you get cast in a GCP production, be prepared to give it your all and be committed because in the end, everyone wins.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
SB: Once this show gets going and my family finds out the role I'm playing, I should be expecting a call from my mother saying, "What are you doing?" "Really?" LOL

Thanks, Steven! "Rent" continues tonight at the Vam York!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment