Friday, September 30, 2011

"Rent" cast profile: Gerri Sterne

Gerri Sterne is having the time of her life as an ensemble member of "Rent"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
GS: I am in the ensemble of Rent! I play a handful of characters, including Mrs. Jefferson (Joanne's Mom), person in Life Support, a police officer, and a homeless person.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
GS: I was in "Anything Goes" at GCP during the summer, which was the first time I had done any performing since high school. In high school, we did some fun shows, including "All Shook Up," "Little Shop of Horrors," "Once Upon a Mattress," and "Sweet Charity."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Rent"?
GS: "Rent" is absolutely one of my favorite shows. I saw it recently at UCF and was blown away. I remember walking out the theater saying, "Wow, that show is incredible, I will never have the opportunity to be in a show like that." Obviously, I should learn to never say never, because here I am doing the seemingly impossible.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
GS: I absolutely LOVE doing "La Vie Boheme" and "Rent" because it is just so much fun and everyone gets really into it. I also really love singing the finale all clustered together watching the film. I hope I am not only one in the cast who has noticed how that number has evolved throughout the rehearsal process. I remember Erin giving us the direction to "pretend like we like each other." And now it is so effortless. I also love listening to and watching "Take Me or Leave Me" and "What You Own."

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
GS: I don't think I can pick just one. Going to rehearsal was the absolute highlight of my day, and I think most of the cast felt the same way. The excitement over getting the opportunity to do such a unique show has been palpable since the very first read-through, and even possibly since auditions.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Rent"?
GS: People should see "Rent" if they have a open mind and love the combination of musical theatre and rock music. It is definitely emotional and thought-provoking, even abstract at times, but I think it is a show that everyone (well, maybe not young kids) can find something in to relate to. I hope that audiences see beyond the surface of the show; there are some really moving messages and metaphors throughout. If we just make one person feel something, then in my opinion the show is a success.

GCP Girl: Which musicals would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
GS: I think doing "Rent" has opened a lot of doors for GCP. I would like to see more shows like this is the future. Everyone loves a fun, comedic musical, but it is nice to change it up sometimes and do something more emotive.

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is thinking of auditioning for a show at GCP?
GS: Take a deep breath and show up. Sometimes all you need a is a break. I auditioned for several shows at GCP without getting in before I got into "Anything Goes" and now "Rent." However disheartening it is not to make it, I never gave up trying and it paid off in an incomprehensible way.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
GS: Getting involved with the GCP is probably the best decision I have ever made.

Aw, thanks, Gerri! Now, everyone at home, shut down the computer and go see "Rent"!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment