Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Rent" cast profile: Giovanni Barrio

Giovanni Barrio returns to the GCP to perform in the ensemble of "Rent," previewing tonight at the Vam York Theater!

GCP Girl:
Tell me a bit about your character.
GB: I play a homeless person in the ensemble, and Gordon, a New Yorker who's living with AIDS and having a hard time accepting it.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
GB: In March, I played Mitch Mahoney in "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" here at GCP. That was my first GCP show! Before then, I played Judge Thatcher in "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," Uncle Billy in "It's a Wonderful Life," and Edward Rutledge in "1776," all at the High Springs Community Theater.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Rent"?
GB: For me, "Rent" is one of those shows that is just so enjoyable to sing. I can remember jamming out to the soundtrack when I was in high school, and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to do it on stage with an amazing cast.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show?
GB: I'd have to say it's "Without You." The song really speaks to me about how you can be grateful for life, and still feel a deep sadness over the ones you love that are no longer with you. It's a beautiful song and it always leaves me with a bittersweet feeling.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
GB: My favorite part has been learning the choreography for "La Vie Boheme." It's the first real dance number I've ever been in and it was the biggest challenge for me (I can't dance to save my life), but it's so much fun when it all comes together. I can't wait for the audience to see it.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Rent"?
GB: For me, the music is what makes "Rent" a must-see. It's fun, full of energy, and it influenced a lot of shows that came after it. I hope audiences go home feeling that they've just had a really good time, and also that they resonate with the show's invitation to cherish the time you have with the ones you love.

GCP Girl: Which musicals would you like to see GCP produce in coming seasons?
GB: I would love it if GCP did "Next to Normal," "The Light in the Piazza," "Parade," or anything by Stephen Sondheim, like "Sweeney Todd" or "Pacific Overtures."

GCP Girl: What would you tell someone who is thinking of auditioning for a show at GCP?
GB: I'd say go for it. Don't worry if you're nervous about auditioning, because everybody else is too. Also, being in a show is a big commitment and a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
GB: If you're the kind of person who doesn't like musicals because of all the tap dancing, pretty sets and singing nuns, come see "Rent"! Believe me, you'll be glad you did. It's completely different.

Thanks, Giovanni! The box office opens at 7 p.m. tonight, so get there early because it's first-come, first-served!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment