Thursday, March 18, 2010

"Forum" cast profile: Kelley Addis

Kelley Addis joins the family business in her first show at the GCP! She plays Domina, the lady of the house...and don't you forget it.

GCP Girl:
Tell me about about your character.
KA: Domina is very much her namesake. She wears the pants in the family and is not afraid to show that off at anytime. She pushes not only her slaves around, but also her husband and her son. However, all this "domineering" (get it? Domina; Dominant; Dominatrix) comes from a place of love. All she really wants is love, but she has a really rough way of showing that.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
KA: Although this is my first GCP show, this is not my first rodeo, so to speak. I started acting when I was four, went to Florida State (insert boos here) for theatre, and then spent seven years pursuing theatre professionally. I spent four years with the Chicago cast of "Tony N' Tina's Wedding," in which I played six different characters at any given time, including the bride, Tina, to Loretta, the New Jersey former beauty queen who owns the reception hall, to DJ Monty, the former stripper turned wedding DJ. I think I liked that show because I was playing characters closer to my age. Most shows that I'm involved in, I play a mom in some shape or form, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm really good at it, I guess. I've also done a couple of movies, including "Spiderman II" and "The Break-Up," and also appeared on Animal Planet on an episode of "Animal Witness."

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for this show?
KA: "Forum" was always a show that I'd been wanting to do. It's just a really fun romp that, at the end, leaves the audience wanting to watch it again. I've been having a really great time with this show and have met some really amazing people.

GCP Girl: What has been your favorite part of this experience so far?
KA: Kicking Thomas around stage has to be my favorite. The song "Dirty Old Man" is Domina's 15 minutes, so I've been having fun milking it for all it's worth. Plus, don't tell him this, but I think he actually likes it as well.

GCP Girl: If you could sing one song in the show that is actually sung by another character, which one would it be and why?
KA: "Pretty Little Picture" is a very nice patter, stereotypical Sondheim song. However, as much as I like that song, I LOVE the song I get to do. It's a lot of fun.

GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from this show?
KA: Just a sense of fun. I think the world is full of very real, very serious problems and if I can take the audience away from that, even for a minute, then I have done my job well.

GCP Girl: What inspires you?
KA: People who are fearless. Not just with acting, but with life. Someone who is not afraid to take chances and put themselves out there. It inspires me to get out into the world and experience everything I can and not be afraid of what other people think of it.

GCP Girl: Broadway is drawing a lot of its inspiration from TV shows and movies lately. What TV show or movie would you like to see turned into a Broadway musical?
KA: Well, "Harry Potter" would make a great musical and might be coming to Gainesville sooner than you think (keep your ears peeled for that). "Dexter" might make an interesting musical. Plus a singing serial killer is funny - "The night is dark as lead; I come up behind you; BOOM you're dead." ...might need to work on it a little.

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you'd like everyone to know!
KA: I'm a cheap date.

Good to know. Thanks, Kelley!

Will I be at preview tonight, or will I make my appearance on opening night, or at the fundraiser gala on Saturday night? What will I be wearing? What will I think of the show?! Stay tuned!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment