Thursday, September 20, 2012

"All My Sons" cast profile: Josh Ludlam

Josh Ludlam lends his dramatic talent to the complex character of Chris Keller in "All My Sons"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
JL: I play Chris Keller, an idealist who sees the best in others. As one character puts it, "He makes people want to be better than it's possible to be." After seeing the atrocities of war, he realizes that life is more than material possessions. It's about giving yourself to something bigger than yourself and finding happiness in the people that surround you.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
JL: I've played a wide range of characters, from silly ones like Dromio of Ephesus in "The Comedy of Errors" (where I was beaten on stage with ropes) and slapsticks, to serious characters like Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird." But by far my favorite performance was my master's performance, which was a one-man show telling the story of "The Count of Monte Cristo." I played 11 characters in that one show alone! Loads of fun!

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "All My Sons"?
JL: I have been in Gainesville for about a year now and have wanted to get involved in the local theatre scene, but it's difficult sometimes to convince playhouses to take a risk on new talent. I read the physical description of Chris and I felt I fit the physical description, so they'd at least give me a chance! After reading the story line and the play itself, I was more convinced I wanted to be a part of telling this story because it has such power and meaning: live your life for something bigger than yourself!

GCP Girl: What is your favorite scene in the show, and why?
JL: My favorite scene is when Chris and Anne get engaged. It's such a sweet moment in a play that is not known for many sweet moments. There are many powerful and beautiful moments!! But not many sweet ones!

GCP Girl: What about this show has challenged or inspired you, as an actor and as a person?
JL: This character is by far the most "dramatic" I have played. There is such a range in Chris, from a playful, boyish love interest, to a killer during war times, to a loving and devoted son. All of these things (and more) have to be visible to the audience. It's certainly not a flat character.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "All My Sons"?
JL: Because it's awesome!!! Because when people leave this play they will "know there is a universe of people out there" and they're responsible to it!

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
JL: "The Glass Menagerie" by Tennessee Willams. Another very powerful play!

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
JL: Cyrano de Bergerac. I understudied in college but never got to play him!

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
JL: I'm single!

Thanks, Josh!  You can see Josh and the rest of the cast all weekend at the Vam York!

xo xo GCP Girl 

No comments:

Post a Comment