Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"Hairspray" cast profile: Kacey Musson

Kacey Musson makes her GCP debut as Lou Anne in "Hairspray"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
KM: I play Lou Anne, and she’s sort of the outcast of the Corny Collins show members. She’s always had the itch to break free of the pettiness of being a council member, and finally finds the chance to get that acceptance.

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
KM: Well, this is my first at GCP, but I’ve done just about every show at my high school since my enrollment, and small other side shows at various little theaters. Some shows include "Cinderella" (Evil Stepsister), "Robin Hood" (Maid Marian), "Willy Wonka" (Violet), "Shout!" (Green Girl), etc.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Hairspray"?
KM: Why not? It was an opportunity to work with new people, and the show itself is uplifting, and an all-around good time. I heard a lot of great things about the theater, and it seemed like a great chance to get on stage for the summer.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show, and why?
KM: “I Know Where I’ve Been” is hands-down my favorite song. It really brings home the whole show. "Hairspray" is such a cheesy, campy show, and to have such a powerful and soulful song in the middle of it, you can’t help but to be sucked into the real message of the show.

GCP Girl: Why should people see "Hairspray"?
KM: I’m in it, that’s why. Just kidding. The talent in this show is fantastic, and the cast is so energetic that pulls the whole audience in for the roller coaster that it is. There’s a lot to learn from the show, but it plays up one of America’s darkest issues in a timeless upbeat manner that is easy to understand and gives you a new perspective on the '60s. You're guaranteed to go home with a tapping foot, and singing a catchy melody.

GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
KM: If the rights to the show were ever released, after this show I think GCP has the capability of pulling another campy show like "Mamma Mia," or something just as groovy. I’m a big fan of comedy, so I’d love to see more comedic endeavors in the theater.

GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
KM: There are too many to count. To name a few: Elphaba in "Wicked," Girl in "Once," Mrs. Lovett in "Sweeney Todd," Jack Kelley in "Newsies," Finch from "How to Succeed" -- need I go on? I think that’s where the thrill of it lives. When you're on stage you get to live someone else’s life, even if only just for 2 hours a night, and being all these characters would just mean you get to experience such a span of characters!

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
KM: It means people from all different backgrounds coming together to put on a great show, and who do it for the love of it. It’s an experience I wish everyone would get to have at some point in their lives, because there just nothing quite like making cast bonds. You learn so much, and all the hard work really does pay off. You get to entertain and have a great time while doing it all.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
KM: “Don't ever let someone tell you you can't do something. You got a dream, you got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they want to tell you you can’t do it. You want something, go get it. Period.” – Will Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness) Come see "Hairspray"!

Thanks, Kacey!  The last week of "Hairspray" starts tonight and shows have been selling out -- do you have tickets yet?

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment