Friday, August 3, 2012

"Hairspray" cast profile: Esteban Alvarez III

Esteban Alvarez III is big, blond(ish) and beautiful as Edna Turnblad in "Hairspray"!

GCP Girl: Tell me a bit about your character.
EA: I play Edna Turnblad. Edna is Tracy's mother and is both strong and insecure at the same time. The outside world scares her. She's afraid of being hurt and Tracy getting hurt. Yet, by the end of the show she is stronger, braver, and proud of her daughter and of herself.  

GCP Girl: Tell me about some of your previous shows.
EA: My last show was "The Murder Room," and before that I was Max Bialystock opposite Thomas Sanders in "The Producers"...which we are both waiting and willing to start performing the show again.

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "Hairspray"?
EA: I auditioned for "Hairspray" because I wanted to play Edna. I've done a lot of things on stage but I have never had to convincingly play a woman. I love the character, the music, and the show in general. Plus, I knew some friends were going to audition for the show.
 
GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in the show, and why?
EA: I really like "Big, Blond, and Beautiful." Not only does Kathy do an amazing job with it, but I get to make faces at her while she sings. And it is a pivotal point for Edna's character...so, it's a win-win situation.
 
GCP Girl: Why should people see "Hairspray"?
EA: Because the cast is great, the music is fun, and the show is really really funny.
 
GCP Girl: What plays or musicals would you like to see GCP produce in an upcoming season?
EA: "Noises Off," "Sweeney Todd," and "Company."
 
GCP Girl: What is your dream role?
EA: I once said Max Bialystock, Cogsworth, and Edna Turnblad. I need to branch out and think of more dream roles!
 
GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
EA: Community theatre means ... community. A place where people from different aspects of life can come together and work towards a common goal.

GCP Girl: Tell me something you'd like everyone to know!
EA: A) Being a woman is tough.  B) I still have never seen the Godfather movies.

Thanks, Esteban! The countdown continues...only three more shows!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment