Saturday, May 21, 2011

"The Trip to Bountiful" cast profile: Katina Black

Katina Black rules the roost as Carrie Watts's bossy daughter-in-law, Jessie Mae, in "The Trip to Bountiful"!

GCP Girl: Tell us about some of your previous shows.
KB: I've done everything from Shakespeare to "Rocky Horror Picture Show." But my absolute favorite is Shakespeare. I think my favorite role I ever played was Ophelia in "Hamlet." The director actually had me "fling" myself off the ship! The landing was a little rough, but it was so fun!

GCP Girl: Why did you audition for "The Trip to Bountiful"?
KB: I had never auditioned in Gainesville before, so I thought this was a good place to start. The show seemed really interesting, and when I got to read bits of the script, I found it had a lot of depth.

GCP Girl: Tell us about your character.
KB: Jessie Mae is an interesting one. She is always floating in the clouds, and only cares about one thing, herself. She is a dreamer, but very out of touch with reality. I, personally, believe she loves her husband, but is so worn out from living with her mother-in-law that she has lost the ability to show affection and love towards him.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite scene or line in the show?
KB: "I said, furthermore, I had told her the truth when I remarked that the beauty parlour must have seen her coming a long way down the road when they charged her good money for that last permanent they gave her...". It really shows how shrewish and gossipy she is!

GCP Girl: What do you hope audiences take away from "The Trip to Bountiful"?
KB: That we all have our own Bountifuls. And live everyday to the fullest and love the people around you, because one day they won't be there.

GCP Girl: What does community theatre mean to you?
KB: The chance to meet new people.

GCP Girl: Tell us something about yourself you'd like everyone to know!
KB: That I am NOTHING like Jessie Mae. However I am a little flighty sometimes... haha.

Thanks, Katina! "Bountiful" got a great review this week - that means you should go see it!!

xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment