Thursday, June 12, 2014

'Into The Woods' cast profile: John Carmean

GCP veteran John Carmean reprises his role of the Baker after 19 years.

Character: Baker

GCP Girl: Tell me a little about yourself: 
John: My last GCP show was as Fagin in 'Oliver'! My first was as Frederich in 'The Sound of Music'. Margery Pierson was my director for 'The Sound of Music' and it has been a delight to work with her again on 'Into The Woods'!


GCP Girl: Tell me about your character.
John: I love that I get to play comedy in the first act and serious drama through the second half of the show.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite piece of music to sing in 'Into The Woods'? 
John: My favorite song to sing is, No More, which is my duet with Esteban Alvarez that turns into a solo. It's a powerful song that moves me personally every time I sing it.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite moment in the show? 
John: When I am on stage with Leannis who plays the Witch.  Don't tell Kessa, who plays the Baker's Wife. Actually, My favorite moment lasts from the first note of 'Into The Woods' until the last.

GCP Girl: Why did you decide to audition for 'Into The Woods'? 
John: I played the Baker 19 years ago in the old Gainesville Community Playhouse. I am older and hopefully wiser. Taking a second crack at the part of the Baker based on my life experience was intriguing. So far the Baker is the only character I have ever reprised.

GCP Girl: What do you hope audience members take away from this show and why? 
John: The responsibility men have in fathering their children.

GCP Girl: If you had to pick another classic Fairytale to incorporate into Sondheim's story, which would you pick and why? 
John: Hansel and Gretel. What a delicious fate for the Witch.


GCP Girl: Talk about one of your most memorable theatrical experiences ever, either as a performer or audience member. 
John: Last Friday looking out when the lights came up and seeing a friend in the front row.


Thanks, John! It's great to have you back on the GCP stage to reprise such a great role. 


'Into The Woods' closes forever on June 15! Please visit the GCP Website or the Facebook Event Pagefor ticket and show information.

xoxo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment