Wednesday, February 12, 2014

'AIDA' cast profile: Susan Christophy


Susan Christophy lives and breathes theatre at GCP. 


Character/Production Team Position: Amnerias/Choreographer

GCP Girl: Tell me a little about yourself, such as your past shows here or elsewhere, a particular area of study, occupation, hobby, etc. 
Susan: Aida will be my 47th production at GCP that I have either acted in, directed or choreographed. I last performed as Aunt Polly in 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer', last directed 'Anything Goes' and last choreographed 'Seussical'. I recently retired from Performing Arts Director at Gainesville High School in order to return to the world of professional performer... (It's a slow start..)

GCP Girl: Tell me about your character(s). What makes her/him fun or rewarding to play? 
Susan: I play Princess Amnerias, the Pharaoh's daughter. She is rather caught up in physical beauty and a little out of touch with the kingdom to which she would one day rule. She is head over heels in love with her bethrothed, Radames. This character is a blast because I get to wear fabulous clothes, sing amazing songs and dance with amazing dancers!! She also gets to grow through out the show which is also wonderful to participate in.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite musical number in AIDA? 
Susan: To perform... Strongest Suit, because my girls rock it. As choreographer, my favorite is Another Pyramid. My guys dedicate so much to the performance of this piece that I'm not sure I've been more proud of a number. I watch it every night from backstage.

GCP Girl: What is your favorite moment in AIDA? 
Susan: I have a couple, I love the end of the first act, The Gods Love Nubia. It's such a simple staging and amazing song, that the audience is sometimes stunned by it. I also love the courtroom scene in which Amnerias must become the woman she is destined to be and make decisions that will shape her reign.

GCP Girl: Why did you decide to audition for AIDA? 
Susan: It's one of my favorite shows and I'm kinda partial to the director ;)

GCP Girl: Why should everyone in town see this production? 
Susan: It's something fresh that we haven't done before. The story is moving and the music is Elton John!! What more could you ask for?!

GCP Girl: Talk about one of your most memorable theatrical experiences ever, either as a performer or audience member. 
Susan: I've had so many over the years, some funny some poignant. I love it when theater matters. 6 years ago, at GHS, I directed a play called 'Columbinus'. It dealt with the Columbine High massacre, the idea of human frailty and the labels we often wear. The dialogue that it opened up between the students, their parents and their teachers was overwhelming.

Thanks, Susan and good luck with your professional adventure!

You have 2 more weeks to catch 'AIDA' at the GCP, make plans now so you don't miss out! 

Shows resume tomorrow, Thursday, February 13 and runs until February 23. Please visit the GCP Website or the Event Page on Facebook for show details and ticket information.

xoxo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment