Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"Daddy's Dyin'" Cast Profile: Alexander Mrazek


Alexander Mrazek, who plays Orville, reflects on his families on stage, at home and at the GCP...

GCP Girl:
Tell me about some of your previous shows.
AM: Oh gosh, where to start. I probably end up doing 10 shows a year, so I have a lot I could list, but I think I'll stick with some favorites. I was fortunate enough to get to be a part of" Cinderella" at GCP as the inaugural show of the Vam York. I was part of the original cast and stayed on for about six months until the theater was finished. It was great because I got to sing the first note in the new theater! I have also had great fun in shows like "Ragtime," "Night of the Living Dead," and "Little Women: the Musical."  My all time favorite, dream-role show was Lumiere in "Beauty and the Beast."  I can't even describe how wonderful that show was and how amazing it was to be in it. I made so many fantastic friends from that show.

GCP Girl: Which do you enjoy performing more, comedy or drama?
AM: Ohhh, another tough one. I really like both, but at this time in my life, I would have to go with drama. I am usually considered the funny man, both on and off stage, and I love to make people laugh, and I love to explore different ways to make them laugh - whether just completely goofy or the driest of dry sarcasm. Most of the roles I have played are the comedic ones - and it is true it's harder to make people laugh, but there is something about the drama that I really like. I feel it allows you to make a bigger impact on someones life, the way they think or the way they view life. And since I don't get to do it very often, it really is a treat to play in a truly dramatic, gritty sort of play.

GCP Girl: Tell me a little bit about your character.
AM: Orville is mean, real mean. Just ask any of the other characters in the show - especially his abused wife, Marlene. He is a man who has lived in a family full of women and has kind of been kicked around a bit by other members of the family. He's truly stuck in this cycle of violence because he isn't that smart and everyone puts him down, even if it's not meant to be really malevolent, so it really becomes all he can focus on. Because of this, he acts out in the only way he knows how, and so he may do things he really does mean to do. On top of that, he is a baby - he will milk the pain of a small splinter until the end of time.

GCP Girl: What is your character's catchphrase?
AM: It's probably one of the best ones in the show (sorry guys), but Orville is very keen on one saying, especially when things are not going his way, which is most of the time. That saying is, "I have done peed in my chili!" It's usually whiny and makes most of us a little sick to the stomach.

GCP Girl: Are you anything like your character?
AM: Oh man, I hope not. We are both kind of these larger, more commanding figures, but I have a better grasp on my anger than he does. Now, don't get me wrong, I have quite a temper (hardly anyone has ever seen it), but I believe since I am somewhat intelligent, I can control it better.

GCP Girl: This show is about family. Is there anything about this family that reminds you of your own?
AM: The nagging. My family really does love each other. However, between my mom, my brother and me, we really know how to push each others' buttons, just like the Turnover family. I mean, this is not really new to the family structure, but it's definitely part of who we can be sometimes. Also, we have gone through a lot of obstacles in our lives, where the light at the end of the tunnel was very dim, but we have pulled through, and I believe we see that in the Turnover family eventually. The idea that maybe, the hope of things getting better, is there.

GCP Girl: If you had to be related to one of the characters in the show, who would it be and why?
AM: That's easy - Mama Wheelis. She is one spunky broad, and she will get you with her razor strap if you give her too much lip. We talk about it at rehearsals, and I believe it to be true – Mama Wheelis will most likely outlive all her grandchildren. She will be making grits and eggs and chasing dogs out of her garden 'til the world stops spinning.

GCP Girl: Tell me something about yourself you'd like everyone to know.
AM: As sad as this is, it is official that I'm leaving for either Orlando or Chicago after this summer. However, I do get to play in this wonderful show, AND I am playing Captain Hook in "Peter Pan" this summer so I get to do a great show with all my friends. It really is moving - I did my first show ever here in Gainesville with the GCP, and I will be doing my last one with them.

Thanks, Alex! We definitely will miss you, but we're glad we get to spend a little more time with you before you go. Preview is tomorrow night!!!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment