Saturday, January 23, 2010

GCP Girl Exclusive: Jerry Brewington on "Forum"!

Auditions for "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" are Sunday, January 24 and Monday, January 25.  I snagged an exclusive interview with director Jerry Brewington.  Read on!

GCP Girl: Tell me about when you got involved in the GCP and why. 
JB: I first became involved at the GCP in 1984 as a dancing waiter in "Hello, Dolly!".  Things just evolved from there and soon I was designing and building sets as well as acting in shows.  The GCP was (and is) a creative outlet.  It's also where I have have met my best and closest friends. 

GCP Girl: What was your favorite show so far?  
JB: Directing - I would have to say "Metamorphoses" without question.  What a great show!!!  It pushed the envelope and I had a terrific cast and crew.  What an honor to direct.  "Peter Pan" this past summer was just an incredible show all around and showed what the GCP can do when we put our minds to it.

GCP Girl: Why did you propose "Forum" for this season?
JB: Actually, Pat Thomson put me up to it.  It is the most accessible Sondheim show, and I had always wanted to direct something by him (those who know me know he is my favorite composer/lyricist, bar none).

GCP Girl: What are you looking for at auditions this weekend?  
JB: No wallflowers need apply.  "Forum" is a farce with music.  If you can make me laugh at auditions, you'll have a leg up.  There are parts for eight women and 10 men of all age ranges, from 18 up to 65.

GCP Girl: I hear there are big plans for opening weekend...
JB: Actually the night after opening night.  We are having a big benefit for the Child Advocacy Center of Gainesville.  We're having a buffet pre-show and a dessert reception afterwards, where will will have a big birthday cake honoring Stephen Sondheim's 80th birthday.  It should be fun!!!!!  Dress is formal toga. :-)

GCP Girl: What do you hope your cast and the audience take away from this experience?
JB: "Forum" is all about kicking back and having a good time. It is very much a classic Broadway comedy.  Also, people accuse Sondheim of being inaccessible.  "Forum" will prove that he is VERY accessible, thank you very much! :-) 

GCP Girl: What would you say to someone who is considering becoming involved with the GCP? 
JB: Come on down.  Even if you do not happen to be cast in "Forum," we can always use volunteers backstage or people to help with costumes, sets and props.

Thanks, Jerry!  Break a leg, everyone!
xo xo GCP Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment